Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS L96 6L90E

Member #:1857
    Spokane WA., Richland WA. and Priest Lake ID.

LS L96 6L90E

Has anyone used this combination in a tri five. It looks the replacement for the LQ4. Am I close.

Thanks Greg

Member #:1653
    First and most important, WELCOME!!! An "LS" is an LS. Having said that, intake manifold configurations differ through the entire series as do the accessory drives, water pump and oil pans. What specific information are you needing? There are several here that can assist.

I am looking at buying a 2500 gmc sierra van newly wrecked with 9 miles on it from a reputable salvage yard. It needs a replacement intake and they will make it ready to run. I have read a lot about other LS combos but not much on this particular set up. So looking to see if others have information as whether or not this would be a good combo for my 56 nomad

Thanks Greg

ls

I am thinking that the L96 has the L92 heads and that the 6L90 has been used in some of chevys high performance packages. My thoughts would be to install a LS3 or similar intake, port the heads, change the cam, add headers, re tune or program the engine and change the torque converter?. I am hearing that this should make around 500 plus hp and 480ish ft lbs torque. I am hoping to hear from some of you that I am not dreaming

Thanks Greg

Registered Member

Member #:571
    No personal experience here, but it would appear that the L96 is a 6.0 liter LS engine with an iron block and LS3 style rectangular heads.

It would seem that an LS3 intake would be appropriate. All you should need to do is get all that to work together as a package, which shouldn't be that difficult. All you should need is some wiring advice and PCM advice (or mods) from someone who does this stuff like Speartech.

Right that's what i am thinking Rick. How helpful is this sight to get insight. Best to ask first before jumping. Seeing how the heads are like the LS3 maybe porting wouldn't yield the results I am looking for

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome Nick, so would you and others agree that this combo is a good path forward. In shopping the crate motor and tranny and all the accessorizes needed this sure is a better price

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Welcome.
    That is a 6 speed trans. You will have to modify the floor tunnel to fit it just an fyi.
    Rocky

Good point, that is one of the questions I needed to ask. Is there any points of view on this particular transmission. Are the 5th & 6th overdrive gears worth the effort ?.

How about some of the more popular engine upgrades ?. I am sure there has been a lot of these done as to be able to draw from all this experience. Again it is the L96 LS engine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast