Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: paint over powdercoat?

Member #:530

paint over powdercoat?

I just had 2 brand new custom metal gates made for my house. I picked the wrong color for powdercoating, so I have to put a different color on them.

They were primed over brand new bare metal, and then powdercoated.

Can I just spray a latex based house paint over them? Or should I get an enamel (oil based) paint?

Out here in CA, and the sunny hot climate, latex based house paints last about 5 years before needing repainting..

What's my best option. I don't want to pay more for another powdercoating....easier to just paint over brand new powdercoating...

Let's hear it...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I've never heard of priming before powder coating. That aside, you will need to scuff sand all of it before putting another layer of paint over it. Personally, I would not choose a latex based house paint. What about something like Rustoleum? Are you brushing, or spraying?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    With any kind of painting, you need either a chemical bond or a mechanical bond to have adhesion.

You aren't going to get a chemical bond with cured powder coat as the substrate. So you need to scuff it up, which may also be difficult if it's high quality powder coat.

You'd do well to sandblast or recoat. Or just accept that you'll have to repaint sooner than you'd like.

Member #:1707
    Why not get them powder coated again? We bought an outside set of tables and chairs and they only had white available so the company powder coated the green over the white. Still looks good 17 years later.

Member #:530
    I spent $1000 for 2 custom made metal gates for my home. I was the one who picked the color from a chart the contractor had brought. Yep, they came back that color, but somehow...I was off a few obvious shades.

Well for $200 more, I sent them back in for blasting/powder coating again. I gave them a painted sample of the color I'm after. This time...it better match.

Warning:
    Be wary of picking a powdercoat color from a "paper chip chart". Those colors aren't accurate for long (time degrades the color) and the better way is to carry around actual powdercoated color metal samples of all the colors offered. That might have caused me NOT to pick one that was too light.
    The problem is that If i hang gates that aren't the same color as the rest of the trim on my home, the HOA folks will catch it.
    It really was too obvious that the color was a mismatch...so I had to do something.
    Thanks for all your advice guys.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.