Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad Project

Registered Member

Member #:3059
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Ken you mentioned you up graded your ls2 impala with a supercharger. Did you install the front runner setup on it? I,m considering adding a supercharger to my ls2 down the road and was curious about the a/c with a supercharger. Probably have to go down low on a stock setup with its on belt?
    Thanks
    Rocky

I mounted down low.........Kwik makes a set-up......... kwikperf.com ask for Wayne

Registered Member

Update........A couple of things........Took the car to Nickey Chicago for tuning......during the tuning process a couple of issues popped up.........#1....I put a Concept 1 front drive set-up on the car to allow for the A/C compressor to be mounted up top ( no room in the stock low position due to cross member clearance issues)....this setup drives everything off of one 8 rib belt.........and in the Dyno tuning process when given full throttle, the belt squeal made it apparent the Belt wrap on the crank pulley was not the best along with the belt dust all over the engine..........I had a Gatorback belt on the car which has cross grooves which make the belt quieter,........But the guys at Nickey told me to get a Gates Fleet Runner Belt which doesn't have the cross grooves and will give more gripping surface..........Only made 7lbs of boost with the slippage.........New Belt installed..........2nd.......the Horsepower on the Dyno was lower than I expected..(442 RWHP).....Also in driving the car home it ran good but just didn't have the power of the LSA powered 66 Chevelle) ............After getting the car home I put it up on the lift and after looking at the exhaust system..........I now realized that I should have not used the stock cast iron manifolds........and when the exhaust was fabricated, the 90 degree bend put in the pipe coming down from the manifolds actually reduced the pipe diameter quite a bit..........so....as I looked at this set-up, I really realized the Choke point of trying to push all the exhaust at RPM thru that area of pipe........So..........Here we go again......LOL......Ordered a set of 4 tube headers........(pic's to follow).........It will be interesting to see what the numbers will be after getting everything installed and tuned again............I'm also going to install a set of Ring Bros Hood Hinges........

Ken

Registered Member

Dyno pull at Nickey Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXa36XQL7sU

Registered Member

Fleet Runner Belt installed

Ring Bros Hood hinges installed

And the Headers arrived.....I should have done this right from the beginning.......

I talked to Donnie at Frame-up in Beach Park, Ill about putting the headers on and he had an opening.......so I drove the car over there without the hood .......I'll bring the Hood over there also so after finishing the exhaust they can install and align the hood......then I need to take it back to Stefano for some final tweaking..........Then I hope I'm finished........LOL

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    dang it

Member #:530
    It looks great. Especially since your driving it now. (that's the fun part of owning one of these).

Then I hope I'm finished........LOL
    Most of us are laughing about that comment out loud too. Because we know the truth is....they ain't never quite finished
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    It looks like a factory installation....nice!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Headers in..........Check

Hinges in and Hood Aligned.......Check...

And since the weather is nice.........Drive it to work......Check

Gonna be interesting to get it back to Nickey Chicago and see what if any power gains were made.........Again.......I should have put the Headers on during the initial install.....
    Ken

Registered Member

Been a while for an update.........We were going to take the Nomad on the Good-Guys Road Tour last fall........That was the plan anyway.....The tour started in Mooresville, N.C. and ended in Dallas/Ft. Worth.....We were going to drive to Mooresville and have the car shipped back home from Dallas......During the mod's to the car, we had to eliminate the stock Emergency Brake linkage and cable assy due to clearance issues......So...We ordered an E-Force electric E-Brake actuator (Need E-Brake for shipping)......While waiting for the assy to show up I noticed that the A/C system lost it's charge.....Damm!!.........Did some checking and found that the front drive compressor manifold that came with the kit had a leak in it at where the Tube was welded to plate.......Darn........Called Concept one and they said they would ship one out.......well....It came the day we were supposed to leave.......No time to get it fixed so we took the Impala instead.........Meanwhile.......I left the car at Frame-up for Donnie to fix the A/C, install the E-Force unit and replace the Shorty Headers that had some clearance and vibration issues......we ordered some "Real" headers........Hooker long tubes.... When we returned Donnie had the car all finished.........So, it is ready for this years Road-Tour........Also after the new header install and a pulley change (another long story) we got the Supercharger belt slippage resolved....It now makes 12 lbs of boost and made 520 RWHP thru the mufflers........By the way....The Impala got an overall average of 23.7 MPG over 2880 miles........

Put Dye in the system and found the leak

Ken

Member #:3
    Nice Stuff, beautiful Car .
    Hope it all works out for you .

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4