Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 55' Chevy Belair upgrade

Registered Member

Member #:625
    And just like Lazlo said, if you want a 60's or 70's style car (like a gasser...you know, a fad car destined to go the way of the pro-street cars of the '80's...wait that already happened ) it can be done for much cheaper. You'll still spend close to $3K all said and done IMO though. New steering box, power steering, rebuilt steering linkage (that's $1K right there), decent disc brakes and hubs, proper booster, M/C (another $500 at least), control arms with increased caster, shocks, springs, front sway bar (another $750 to $1500, varies greatly)...it adds up fast.

By robbing my stash a little I was able to do all the above for 30-40 cents on the dollar of your cost estimates. For example MID 70 Camaro prop valve free and 72 Monte Carlo rotors free. Just added. 5 degree stock appearing control arms to 55 at $229, why because tubular would look like crap on my car. To me doing more with less is half the fun.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    By robbing my stash a little I was able to do all the above for 30-40 cents on the dollar of your cost estimates. For example MID 70 Camaro prop valve free and 72 Monte Carlo rotors free. Just added. 5 degree stock appearing control arms to 55 at $229, why because tubular would look like crap on my car. To me doing more with less is half the fun.
    Free stuff doesn't count for free for everyone. And you still ended up with a car that drives like a 60's car. IMO there's no way you'll make a stock suspension drive like a modern one, on a stock frame. There are too many constraints. I don't see where you did anything to address the crappy stock suspension geometry and you apparently didn't lower the car at all like most guys do.

BTW, pro-touring is here to stay imo. Pro-street cars never were all that driveable and they're going away just like gassers did. Most people today want old cars that look like old cars but drive like new ones. That means modern suspensions, steering, brakes, and creature comforts like cruise control, power everything, and new modern (17-20") wheels and tires. Those are the cars bringing the big bucks at auctions too, which proves my point. Sure, there's still some old-school holdouts that will never catch on and somehow get a thrill out of a car that drives like a 60's car.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Free stuff doesn't count for free for everyone. And you still ended up with a car that drives like a 60's car. IMO there's no way you'll make a stock suspension drive like a modern one, on a stock frame. There are too many constraints. I don't see where you did anything to address the crappy stock suspension geometry and you apparently didn't lower the car at all like most guys do.

BTW, pro-touring is here to stay imo. Pro-street cars never were all that driveable and they're going away just like gassers did. Most people today want old cars that look like old cars but drive like new ones. That means modern suspensions, steering, brakes, and creature comforts like cruise control, power everything, and new modern (17-20") wheels and tires. Those are the cars bringing the big bucks at auctions too, which proves my point. Sure, there's still some old-school holdouts that will never catch on and somehow get a thrill out of a car that drives like a 60's car.
    Once again you are wrong I for one hated the way my 67 SS 350 drove, 72 Cheyenne Super or the 70 SS 454 Chevelle I used to have drove until I installed late 70s Z28 or 80s truck steering boxes and late 70s Camaro steering wheels on them. Once I installed the aftermarket upper control arms on my 55 it suits me and I did not break the bank to do it. I have about as much use for lowered cars as I do for lifted 4x4s.

Once again you are wrong I for one hated the way my 67 SS 350 drove, 72 Cheyenne Super or the 70 SS 454 Chevelle I used to have drove until I installed late 70s Z28 or 80s truck steering boxes and late 70s Camaro steering wheels on them. Once I installed the aftermarket upper control arms on my 55 it suits me and I did not break the bank to do it. I have about as much use for lowered cars as I do for lifted 4x4s.
    So says a guy who still uses a rotary phone, doesn't have a digital camera, doesn't know anything about modern fuel systems, and has never driven a vehicle newer than 1972 . You can have your 60's and 70's stuff if you love it so much. Even guys with those cars are upgrading them with more modern parts unless they're restoring them to original.

The modern stuff is a lot better and like I said that's what most guys want these days. 90% of guys are lowering their cars to get better handling, so you're an outlier. What suits you may not suit anyone else looking for a better setup. We already know you don't like lowered cars, bigger wheels, or EFI like most everyone else does.

So what am I "wrong" about specifically?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I equate the 60 with constant ratio ps, points, drum brakes [if disk crappy 4 piston] and bias ply tires. In the 70s we got radials, HEI, good working disk and variable ratio ps, all good things in my world. A lot of hot air from someone who stuff is in pieces.

Registered Member

Member #:2084
    Mark, with all due respect, not everyone has a stash of parts laying around and finding usable 40 year old parts in a junkyard/swap meet (which is the only other low cost option) is difficult in most areas of the country. Used is an option if one wants to spend the time scrounging for parts, but it's a crapshoot at best.

You've also left out a power steering box, power steering pump, power steering lines, rag joint, master cylinder, booster, shocks, springs, lower control arms, hubs, drop spindles, and steering linkage. It's a lot of stuff and even it's relatively cheap, it does add up quickly. And some of it should be replaced with new parts...no getting around worn out steering linkage, shock, springs, bushings, etc...that stuff has to be purchased new.

Registered Member

$400 PS box, free 72 Chevy PU pump, $45 NAPA PS hoses for 67 Camaro, Free 87 Camaro rag joint, Vette Master came on car, sold the 4 wheel disk prop valve and used a free one off a 75 Monte, Car had new front springs already. don't need drop spindles or new lower a arms. Hubs are part of rotor. Car had a Wilwood brake 9 inch sold it and built a Dana 60 locker for 500 less.

I equate the 60 with constant ratio ps, points, drum brakes [if disk crappy 4 piston] and bias ply tires. In the 70s we got radials, HEI, good working disk and variable ratio ps, all good things in my world.
    And I equate it with carburetors that haven't even existed on cars for 30 years. EFI was as big of an improvement as any of those things you mention. I'm pretty sure "constant ratio ps" is still the norm and variable ratio steering is not so common, even recently.

Okay, I'll relent and say that..... if you make the upgrades you suggest, you'll have a car that drives like a 70's car instead of a 60's car. LMAO!

A lot of hot air from someone who stuff is in pieces.
    I'm betting my partially assembled car is worth 2-3 times as much as yours is assembled and running. But we'll never know because you can't even post a picture of it. lol!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

$400 PS box, free 72 Chevy PU pump, $45 NAPA PS hoses for 67 Camaro, Free 87 Camaro rag joint, Vette Master came on car, sold the 4 wheel disk prop valve and used a free one off a 75 Monte, Car had new front springs already. don't need drop spindles or new lower a arms. Hubs are part of rotor. Car had a Wilwood brake 9 inch sold it and built a Dana 60 locker for 500 less.
    You just don't understand, do you?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I'm betting my partially assembled car is worth 2-3 times as much as yours is assembled and running. But we'll never know because you can't even post a picture of it. lol!

Given that you have spent 6-10 times more than I have that does not sound like something to brag about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast