Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Bitchin'57, they are the same engine as far as I know. GM part number is 19301358. I have seen it listed at both 480 and 495 hp, even currently. Even the page in the Chevy Performance catalog kind of says both - description is LS376/480, very next line it says 495 hp.

I could have gone with the 525 hp version. Decided not to because the 525 hp is $1000 more, and as far as I can see only the camshaft is different. Plus the main deal is to be able to drive the car, and as a side bonus get some decent mileage - not to be fast as possible.
    I had the same reasoning for not choosing the 525 hp. I'm building a driver as well, and the main reason I chose to go the LS route was because it made good power while still getting good MPG. Damn, I must be getting old, I'm giving up power for better gas mileage! LOL

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Damn, I must be getting old, I'm giving up power for better gas mileage! LOL
    Well me too. But there's a lot to be said to be able to go 300 miles with a 16 gallon tank as opposed to 150-200 miles. If you want to go that far without stopping. Stopping more often for other reasons is also a product of getting old.

To me one of the cool things about LS engines is that stock or near stock they can idle at 500 rpm and make nearly 500 hp.

Registered Member

Branching out a bit, I'm still considering what to get for front accessory drive, oil pan, and clutch. I'm about 90% on my decisions.

Accessory drive: I'm thinking I'll go with the Corvette LS3 basic package that Chevy Performance sells, without the a/c which is low mount and probably hits the crossmember. For the a/c part I'm thinking using the Holley bracket and a Sanden compressor. It's high mount on the passenger side.

I could go with the Kwik performance bracket for the a/c as it's cheaper but the Holley isn't that much more and the bracket is OEM style. Curiously, Holley has a similar deal to the Chevy Performance LS3 Corvette setup (less a/c) but it's a bit more expensive. Also, Chevy Performance has a complete setup very similar in layout to a complete Holley setup, but it's even more expensive, probably in part because it uses a GM compressor which may be variable displacement. VA doesn't recommend variable displacement compressors with their systems, though some have made them work.

The Holley setup is pretty cool for some applications because they can use the same set of brackets with pretty much any water pump and balancer. They just supply spacers (sold separately) so that it works with the balancer/water pump you have.

I'd love to have a VA front runner, or a Billet Specialties or similar accessory drive, but those sure take the $$$.

Oil pan: I'm probably going with the Holley 302-1, which should fit my car. I'm considering the optional baffle kit, which is a fairly high cost add on, but should be a good thing. Anybody know how good the oil control on acceleration/braking/cornering is with and without this baffle?

Clutch/flywheel/bellhousing: Right now I'm considering a Monster Level 1 or 2 clutch, with a steel billet flywheel, and a Tick Performance adjustable clutch master cylinder. From my research, I've found that the OEM pressure plates are "self adjusting" but they have a reputation for the adjuster sticking. The Tick Performance master cylinder has a Tilton m/c that's 7/8" bore compared to OEM 3/4" plus it's adjustable. This means there's more fluid to move the clutch to full release which is good (and needed) since the aftermarket pressure plate isn't "self adjusting".

I could go for a dual disc setup but I'm not convinced that's what I want or need.

Also, since I have to buy a bellhousing anyway, I'm planning on springing for a Quick Time scattershield bellhousing.

I'd sure like to hear any comments, suggestions, or real world experience on any of these items.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 08-17-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Rick, I assume you mean oil pan. The Holley 302-1 is topnotch. We had to modify the windage tray on the ls2 but no big deal it was in instructions just fyi. Very nice product compared to my modified S&P on my cutlass.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Rick very interested in A/C bracket. I was considering the Holley mount I heard it was nice and oem style wanted to use it on my LS2 if possible.

Registered Member

rocky, thanks for the feedback on the Holley oil pan (yes I meant pan, my mind and fingers got disconnected there).

From what I've been able to find out, EVERY LS engine has the same bolt holes for mounting the accessory drive, with the exception of a missing hole on cast iron blocks, which can be drilled and tapped. So what you need to do is get pieces to match your water pump and balancer, or change them to suit. In the case of the Holley system, you just buy the right spacer installation kit. The only other deal with that is the spacers move everything forward by the thickness of the spacers, so you lose radiator clearance when you do that. Corvette = least amount of spacers, early Camaro and some others = medium spacers, trucks and late Camaros = thickest spacers. Not sure what your LS2 has, if it's Corvette it's one thing, others maybe different.

Member #:530
    Are you sticking with the stock frame-front cross member? or have you moved to a C4 conversion frame?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Are you going to get that thing running before the warranty expires?

I think I would have bought a dummy engine for setup and got the actual engine when everything else was done. I only bought mine when I did because I found such a good deal on it. It is probably a motivator though.

As far as I know you've been working on your car longer than. me and I think I'm ahead of you in the build with a lot more mods..... Plus 70 C4 projects on the side.

What is it about the LS engines that lets them get such high mileage? I thought it was the OD transmisions more than the engine itself. I know the heads are what gives them such high horsepower potential. I'm sure EFI is part of it.

Registered Member

As far as I know you've been working on your car longer than. me and I think I'm ahead of you in the build with a lot more mods..... Plus 70 C4 projects on the side.
    Thanks for the statement of your superiority.

The reason that I bought now was the motivation factor - plus I think prices are going up very soon.

On the LS mileage/hp, I think it's in the heads, as well as modern details. I don't have any real facts to back that up. I certainly think they will outperform any similar displacement Chevy engine in both mileage and power when equipped similarly (i.e. camshaft, gearing, etc.)

Member #:115
    You're the one who first made the snide remark about me being "slow" on my build. I just pointed out that I'm pretty sure I've done more work on my car (and other projects) the past several years than you have. Take that any way you want to.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast