Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If you are slow on a build and have other done cars its not the same.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you are slow on a build and have other done cars its not the same.
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Member #:530
    Oh geez guys. cut the mud slingin' please. Let's stay on track here with Rick's resumption of the 55 build. We already know about all of the friction with each other at times. Let's give it a rest on this post and stay on topic.

Front Drive system choices:
    My feedback to your post (Rick) is that it depends on your goals for this build. if you want to win some trophys at shows, then a billet front runner system is always a good choice. If you want a clean looking, functional, but not terribly flashy engine compartment, then the stock setup from various other GM vehicles will work just fine.

Your observation about the AC compressor is valid, as with the LS engine, it sits very low on the passenger side. I think there would be interference with the stock crossmember. (At least thats' how I remember seeing it on my Nomad when I first bought it. The previous owner had moved it up via a special one-off bracket because it wouldn't fit down low with the stock GM brackets).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 08-20-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:230
    Congratulations Rick, sounds like a great package
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Wagoncrazy, thanks for your OT sanity and feedback on the accessory drive.

My chassis is a simple OEM upgrade with C3 Corvette front spindles, rotors, and brakes, a CPP steering box, and leaf springs with a pocket kit on the rear, with Caltrac clones, also Hellwig sway bars front and rear. I have absolutely no motivation to do a C4 suspension; I would do an AME instead if I had the budget. If I wanted to go to some kind of pro-touring/lateral-g suspension, I'd either go 100% aftermarket or a C5/C6 deal (knowing it would require lots of engineering and mods) - but that's not in the cards. Unless one of you wanted to sponsor me on the project.

As for "building" an LS engine - why? I already explained why I chose the one I did, the only thing that would meet my goals would be something similar with more displacement, and that's insanely expensive relatively speaking. Again, if someone would sponsor me I'd build something to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I have absolutely no motivation to do a C4 suspension; I would do an AME instead if I had the budget. If I wanted to go to some kind of pro-touring/lateral-g suspension, I'd either go 100% aftermarket or a C5/C6 deal (knowing it would require lots of engineering and mods)
    I see no advantage of a C5/6 front suspension over a C4. I don't think the geometry is significantly different, they're both aluminum, the brakes on the C5/6 can be put on a C4, and you have to change to a different rack and swaybar with the C5/6 setup. That's why not many use C5/6 suspensions except for the a-arms and spindles. They're way too wide to use intact.

The cost of a C4 suspension conversion frame is far less than an AME frame, and you can't get by that much cheaper with aftermarket bolt-ons that still compromise the performance. For example, if a guy had his own suspensions and wanted to do a lot of the fab work himself, we sell a basic clip and basic rear kit for only $2550. It completes a huge portion of the work needed to graft the suspension to a stock frame. At the other end of the spectrum we sell a complete conversion with BOTH front and rear C4 suspenions for under $8000, almost HALF the cost of an AME frame. Sure you might have to refurbish some of the parts, but the cost isn't that bad. The C4 setup is a significant suspension and steering/brake upgrade and a great bang for the buck.

But you know all of that and heard it before....this info is for others reading this thread.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't really care what you think of C5/C6 suspensions. As I said they are not on my radar.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Neither do I, if I wanted a later model Corvette I would go buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Neither do I, if I wanted a later model Corvette I would go buy one.
    The fact is there are a lot more guys today who want an old car with modern running gear and suspension than those who want an old-school beater with 60 year old technology. All one has to do is look around the car scene to see that. A few are still stuck in the 60's, but they're a small minority and some don't even own the inexpensive technology to post pics of their car here.

Anyhow Rick, I hope this jump-starts your project again. Some day before another decade passes we'd like to see a pic or two of it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast