Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:625
    You know why the call aftermarket parts NEW. Never Ever Worked. Should be called "cut to fit, patch to match".

I too get tired of the whole picture deal, Cnut actually criticized me on a thread that included a link to my car running at the stoplight drags an activity he will never accomplish. When I get in the mood to work in the shop I don't take time for pictures. However, I will admit to enjoying some of them my Dad used to take of projects.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    So Nick, what's toxic?

Doing what you do? Or commenting about you doing what you do, which is what you are accusing me of?

And backing up, I post that I'm as slow as Cnut, poking a joke at myself, not Cnut. But Cnut can't stand that, he gets his panties in a wad and has to explain how what he does is far superior to me. Again, I'm toxic? Give me a break.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    markm, good explanation of what NEW parts are.

Member #:115
    Markm where have you EVER posted a picture of your car? I don't recall ever seeing one. I don't see taking a car to the drags as an "accomplishment".

And people here are constantly asking for pictures. Most of us like pics of cars and projects but some guys act too embarrassed of their cars to post any. How boring would it be here without pictures? We post them so people can SEE what we're doing, not imagine it. Would you buy a magazine without pictures?

You're one who seems to praise aftermarket parts...the ones you use when your junk stash doesn't work...lol.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I post that I'm as slow as Cnut, poking a joke at myself, not Cnut.
    Thats like someone saying he's as stupid as you, as as joke of course.

You call me slow so I explained all the things I do aside from my car that keeps me from working on it all the time. You're supposedly retired and don't build things for others part-time as far as I know. What have you accomplished? If you ake my comments as me being superior that's your issue.

And Nick's "toxic" description is right on. You very seldom, if ever, give anyone (not talking about me) kudos on their work but never hesitate to criticize or attack them. I don't praise shitty work but i think guys like Custer, Robert, and several others do nice stuff and I've said so. I've never attacked anyone without being attacked first. There's a handful like you here...."toxic" is a good description. You didn't used to be like that.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Markm where have you EVER posted a picture of your car? I don't recall ever seeing one. I don't see taking a car to the drags as an "accomplishment".

And people here are constantly asking for pictures. Most of us like pics of cars and projects but some guys act too embarrassed of their cars to post any. How boring would it be here without pictures? We post them so people can SEE what we're doing, not imagine it. Would you buy a magazine without pictures?

You're one who seems to praise aftermarket parts...the ones you use when your junk stash doesn't work...lol.
    Your memory is both bad and selective. several years ago you and Rick prodded me and I posted a picture of my 56 sitting next to my 67 Camaro at a test and tune night. A couple of weeks ago I posted a video link that included my 55 racing. So go back to polishing your pieces.

Member #:2670
    Wow, lots of nasty going on here lately. I'm gonna need my safe space.....lol.

Banned

Member #:2775
    BTW Rick L, That is a great engine choice that I wish had. Just the improvement alone, in handling, and acceleration make the lighter all aluminum engine worth half it's cost.

Member #:3124
    Rick_L ,, Let me say Congratulations !!

I love the LS motors, they are very reliable, don't leak, great power, good fuel economy, and don't require constant tinkering - At least that's my experience with mine. We installed the LS-1 in mine '56 early summer of 2007. There's a lot of items that we needed to change for the LS-1 & T56 swap, the $$ added up quickly. But, was so well the $$ and effort.

RE the oil pan. I had mine modified to fit over the Dutchman's Rack & Pinion assembly.

RE the Pulleys, I used the WS6 OEM pulleys, belt, idler, ETC - has never let me down. Slightly different than the Vette setup

RE the A/C pump. Mine also bolts on the passenger side down low. We modified the front cross member, took a couple of hours. We didn't install the A/C system then.. And every Summer about the end of July I tell myself that I need to install the A/C system this next Winter. Some over project on another Car always seems to take up my time.

Clutch Kit, I purchased and installed a new OEM ZO6 clutch kit, suites me just fine. I don't race or abuse this car. Not that I don't get heavy on the Pedal,, most days. We used the Camaro / Fire Bird Hydraulic master and T.O. bearing. We designed a few brackets so all bolts up without drilling holes in the Firewall now the Clutch pedal.

Little Stuff,

You will find lots of small items needs to be attended too, Fuel system, Wiring, fans and,,,, If you need any input, let me know, happy to help.

Good Luck !!

Michael..

Registered Member

Member #:2084
    Really excited to see this build thread. Rick...just take some bad pics like me with your cell phone of your messy garage (that's me beating myself up, because my garage is a disaster right now!).

Honestly, looking back, before I had my Dart SHP 420ci SBC built, I thought about going to an LS3 (or some LSx for that matter). What held me back was that I had everything resolved including headers (which we all know can be a real pain!), front accessories, and I already had a full EFI swap including an in-tank EFI pump/tank setup and full Holley HP EFI kit. Sometimes I look back and think I shoulda gone with an LS, but that ship has sailed, at least for my '56. My '72 Camaro may full well receive an LY6 motor at some point in the future though...if I blow up the 355 in it now

I think what makes the LS motors last so much monger than old SBC's is two-fold. The first is the fuel control of EFI...it's just better than a carb, period. It may not make better power, but you can't argue that it controls the AFR much better than with any carb, especially at cruise and other points of street driving. No cylinder washing, better oiling too. The second is the overdrive...just keeping the RPM's down helps a lot. I know lots of old SBC's have overdrive and EFI too...and that's my point. My pop has an '88 Silverado with EFI and a 5 speed...thing has 300K on it. No way you get that with an old school SBC with a carb and a Muncie. With superior priority main oiling and low friction rings combined with coil on pack sequential EFI and deep overdrives these things last forever as long as you maintain them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast