Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:571
    just take some bad pics like me with your cell phone of your messy garage
    I didn't realize you'd been here to see my mess, how did you guess? It's compounded by all the new boxes of parts.

I've now ordered and mostly received most of the big stuff I'm going to need. Engine, pcm/wire harness, starter, engine mounts, oil pan, scattershield bellhousing, and part of the accessory drive are here. Transmission parts and clutch/flywheel are on the way. The other half of the accessory drive is backordered. I still need to order the headers. I was a bit disappointed that Hooker doesn't offer their coated headers with O2 bungs or some kind of a flange to connect to the rest of the exhaust system. So I'll weld the O2 bungs and flanges for V band clamps then send them out to be coated.

I could set the engine in the chassis with the pieces I'll have next week. Looking forward to the first cool front so that I can move all this stuff around in more comfort. Not hard, just a logistical mess.

Registered Member

Update, I've received almost all my big parts now.

The GM accessory drive I was going to use is on extended back order, so I ordered a Holley one instead. I had already ordered and received the Holley mount for the a/c to mount it up top on the passenger side. The Holley unit for the driver side is VERY similar to the GM one I had intended to use but it's about $300 more than the GM one (this includes not just the brackets, but the alternator, p/s pump, and reservoir). This week I found that Summit has a kit with the Holley brackets and Summit sourced alternator and power steering pump for about the same price as the GM kit, except it doesn't have a p/s reservoir, which is almost $100. So I ordered that and received it. Looks like from my research that the biggest difference in price is the power steering pump. Holley's is an aluminum Corvette piece. Summit's is a steel pump. From first glance it looks like the inlet tube on the Summit pump may be a problem but we'll see what can be done.

I've also received the headers, clutch package and related parts, and the pieces to modify the LT1 T56 to LS1 configuration.

Time to get going mocking everything up. I still have some logistics problems to solve with space to store and access all the stuff I have, so it may be a few more days.

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Update, I've received almost all my big parts now.

The GM accessory drive I was going to use is on extended back order, so I ordered a Holley one instead. I had already ordered and received the Holley mount for the a/c to mount it up top on the passenger side. The Holley unit for the driver side is VERY similar to the GM one I had intended to use but it's about $300 more than the GM one (this includes not just the brackets, but the alternator, p/s pump, and reservoir). This week I found that Summit has a kit with the Holley brackets and Summit sourced alternator and power steering pump for about the same price as the GM kit, except it doesn't have a p/s reservoir, which is almost $100. So I ordered that and received it. Looks like from my research that the biggest difference in price is the power steering pump. Holley's is an aluminum Corvette piece. Summit's is a steel pump. From first glance it looks like the inlet tube on the Summit pump may be a problem but we'll see what can be done.

I've also received the headers, clutch package and related parts, and the pieces to modify the LT1 T56 to LS1 configuration.

Time to get going mocking everything up. I still have some logistics problems to solve with space to store and access all the stuff I have, so it may be a few more days.
    Please let us know how the Holley brackets work for you as I have the same setup and will install it soon. Do you have an SD-7 compressor?

Registered Member

I got the bigger 508 compressor.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Hopefully that Summit sourced alternator is the same or better quality as OEM. Do you have a radiator yet for your LS3?

Registered Member

Agree on the alternator. GM uses remanufactured alternator and p/s pump, but they are AC Delco, who I generally trust. Can't tell who does the Summit alternator, the only branding on the box is Summit. It's 145 amp.

I'll be using a PRC radiator originally purchased for my abandoned Gen 2 LT1 setup. It has the smaller radiator hose barbs that match the hose size on the later engines, so hopefully it's just a matter of finding some hoses that fit.

Member #:3124
    Rick,

Hey, good luck with the engine install. Anxious see photos of you progress.

I was looking at a LS3 on my next build I recently started. This new build will keep me very busy and in particular keep me from constantly making changes to my '56

I did bite the Bullet nut I went with a LS7 crate engine and super magnum RPM T56. To save a few $$ and fitment issues I'm using the C6 Corvette pulleys and accessories. The dry sump solves any oil pan issues, and it's been a very long time since I've had a 427

Michael

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Rick did you buy a oil pickup tube girdle? If not you should. GM did a piss poor job of saving a few pennies and only put one bolt in a 2 bolt flange on the oil pickup. I built my own on my first swap but they now offer them well worth the few $ spent.

Registered Member

Rocky, I was unaware of the need.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Rocky, I was unaware of the need.

The LS blocks have two threaded holes at the oil pickup. Ls oil tubes only use one of the bolts and have a single hole flange which can lead to a leaking Oring and loss of oil pressure. I purchased mine from BRP I believe there are others on the market now also. See link below toward middle of page 35$.

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/5...evy/index.html
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 12-14-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast