Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Chevynut, do you realize that you've become the biggest troll on this site, surpassing the traditional ones?

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    The fact is there are a lot more guys today who want an old car with modern running gear and suspension than those who want an old-school beater with 60 year old technology. All one has to do is look around the car scene to see that. A few are still stuck in the 60's, but they're a small minority and some don't even own the inexpensive technology to post pics of their car here.

Anyhow Rick, I hope this jump-starts your project again. Some day before another decade passes we'd like to see a pic or two of it.

That's a funny statement, I guessed biased by your desire to sell more of your stuff. Fact is, most guys install bolt on upgrades then anything else. If you would have been at the latest TriFive Nationals you would have seen no more then 1-2% of cars had C4 under them, almost all had bolt on disc brake upgrades/bolt on tubular arms in some cases and a few pure stock. There were way more pure stock then C4.
    C4 is OK but bolt on with out having to cut up one's car is the best way to go.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Chevynut, do you realize that you've become the biggest troll on this site, surpassing the traditional ones?
    GFY Rick. You seem to think it's okay to post off-topic shit on my build threads, but when I address your comment about C4 suspensions here you get your panties all wadded up. It's impossible to carry on a conversation with you without your snide remarks and personal slams and insults. When did you turn into such an asshole?

Go work on your car for once.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I do not know the numbers but am guessing CPP alone outsells the entire C4 industry 100 to one.

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I do not know the numbers but am guessing CPP alone outsells the entire C4 industry 100 to one.

Probably much higher then that.
    Cnutroll will get his panties in a wad if you don't agree with his C4 stuff, nothing wrong with that route (C4) but most don't go that way. With all the different choices among aftermarket bolt on I see no reason to do a C4, but then I'm not trying to be some sort of a roundy round racer or looking for make believe bragging rights.

Banned

Member #:2775
    C4's have been around for 32 years, and BBC's for 51 years. Not exactly the latest stuff anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    C4's have been around for 32 years, and BBC's for 51 years. Not exactly the latest stuff anymore.
    Tell us what's so much better about the C5/6 suspensions than the C4 then. I don't see much in the front suspension and I have the parts in my hands. The biggest improvement came in the rear of the C5/6 with the a-arm suspension...the front wasn't much of a change except for width and corresponding geometry changes needed. The C4 was a huge improvement on anything before it, even over the C3 suspensions which weren't that much different than the 50's and 60's suspensions except for the IRS.

SBCs have been around for 61 years. The LS engine is just another generation (albeit a major revision) of the SBC. Even the LS has been around for 20 years and is pretty much obsolete in new Chevys. The Gen VI BBC came out in 1996, the SAME YEAR as the first LS engine in the C5 Corvette. Many improvements were made including changes to the casting, the addition of EFI, computer controlled ignition, and much better seals and gaskets.

So what's the "latest stuff" now? For suspensions there's not much that's usable on Tri5s. The aftermarket is just copying OEM stuff for the most part. As far as engines it's the new LT1 with supercharger, VVT, and Direct Injection. Why aren't you using that latest stuff?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ha ha! You must be joking. Just because someone buys that bolt-on crap doesn't mean it's any better, and it's not. Lots of guys have told me they'd go to C4 if they could afford it, and there are hundreds of them already out there. So they just buy the inferior bolt-on stuff because it's "easy" to do.

It's funny that you think it's okay to bolt on aftermarket wannabe junk but you can't see using good OEM production parts. Show me one aftermarket aluminum a-arm or spindle that uses modern hub bearings. Show me one aftermarket front-steer rack made for a Tri5, that eliminates all the problems with oilpan clearance, etc. Show me one aftermarket set of parts that give you all the geometry gains of C4 tech....you can't. The stock frame doesn't allow for it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I've said before that if I had it to do over I'd probably do what Rick did and go with an LS engine, but I'd go with an LSA, LS9, or some other supercharged version, buy one custom built, or build one myself. If I decide to build my 56 sedan, I may just do that.

But I don't think I'd change much on my chassis because I don't see anything that much better out there short of an entire new frame like RS, AME, etc. I may have added the AME center section for stiffness if it was available at the time, but there are downsides to it as well, like negating the use of an x-pipe and more difficulty routing exhaust in general. I'm not even sure where one would put electric cutouts with that setup.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Actually, Mark I BBC 1958, Mark II 427 1963l, not much never than a SBC.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast