Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to go LS3

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Just for comparison purposes....I built a iron block 408 LS with all good aftermarket internals, LS3 CNC'd heads, carb style intake but EFI, complete including pan, custom wire harness and programmed PCM with trans control,Holley brackets and all accessories I'm at $10k. I did do all the work myself. My guess based on size, head flow data, compression and cam, is that it should make about 600 HP.
    Last edited by Bluegrass Trifive; 08-22-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Messed up post

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What's the cam specs?

Registered Member

231/242 @.050 .625/.600 112 +3 with 11.6:1 compression
    Last edited by Bluegrass Trifive; 08-23-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added info

Registered Member

Just wondering where you got your 600 hp, makes sense with the extra cubes, ported heads, and bigger cam compared to the LS3/480.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Just wondering where you got your 600 hp, makes sense with the extra cubes, ported heads, and bigger cam compared to the LS3/480.
    Honsetly I think yours would make more than stated by GM. In my experience the current crate engines make 5% or so more. I think they do it just to be safe in case somebody dynos one. I've seen several engines similar to mine on a Superflow and make right around 600. The cam is the limiter in my case, it's about all you want with an auto trans and air.

Registered Member

Thanks for that feedback, honestly I thought 495 hp might be exaggerated rather than conservative. But I'm planning on full length headers so that should help, don't know what they dyno it with.

Registered Member

Got another 3 boxes of parts today. Holley oil pan, QT bellhousing, engine mounts, starter.

Everything looks nice. The only thing I mocked up was a fail - the optional Holley oil pan baffle with the trap doors doesn't fit in the Holley 302-1 pan. Looks like some trimming will be in order. I had seen some complaints on the net about the Holley pans having burrs and other defects but mine looks nice. The baffle looks good too, it just doesn't fit. You'd think after it being on the market all this time they could get it right especially considering the price they get for it. Oh well, hot rod parts.

I thought I might be able to set the engine in the chassis with these parts but I may have to get the parts for modifying the trans as it doesn't look like the bellhousing will bolt up to my transmission's front plate.

More parts coming next week.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 08-26-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Member #:1653
    The only thing I mocked up was a fail - the optional Holley oil pan baffle with the trap doors doesn't fit in the Holley 302-1 pan. Looks like some trimming will be in order. I had seen some complaints on the net about the Holley pans having burrs and other defects but mine looks nice. The baffle looks good too, it just doesn't fit. You'd think after it being on the market all this time they could get it right especially considering the price they get for it. Oh well, hot rod parts.
    Old stock maybe? I doubt anyone out there in vendor land rotates stock if new comes out that has improvements. It's a lot easier for the purchaser to be the QC and effect the stock replenishment. Love the change though. I know some here would love to see progress in the form of images but honestly all I ever recall are some from way way way back - before this site and when Ctalk was young.

Registered Member

You are quite the one to comment on "images". I have never seen a photo of your project, if you even have one. Nor any of a "customer's" car. Is there a double standard here?

You and Cnut are ruining my "trophy" build thread.

What do you want to see a photo of?

Member #:1653
    You are quite the one to comment on "images". I have never seen a photo of your project, if you even have one. Nor any of a "customer's" car. Is there a double standard here?

You and Cnut are ruining my "trophy" build thread.

What do you want to see a photo of?
    Have a Blessed day Rick. I'm done with you and this place. I'm certain that's just what you want and are quite happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NickP; 08-26-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast