Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much paint will I need for a 55 Chevy Sedan?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    DBC is the top of the PPG Deltron line. It's generally considered to be a better color match and should cover better than DBU. You also have to mix it differently (reducer, etc.) than DBC. Go to ppgrefinish.com and get the p-sheets for each to see the difference. You may want to consider a catalyst in DBC but it's not required. I think DBU requires catalyst, not sure.

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Great info, Thanks!

How about sealer? Is that task imperative before basecoat? Some people say yes and some say no.

My car is finished using SPI epoxy top coat which I sanded using 400 dry then 600 wet, smooth as a baby's behind. I'd really prefer to eliminate sealer if it's safe to do so. If I do seal I'd use SPI epoxy reduced and the specs say's it must sit 6 hours after spraying before applying the base which would take away most of the day and not enough time left to paint, or.... they say, let it sit overnight then wet sand using 600 before base (not more sanding please!!!!!!) and by the time I sanded most of the day would be gone. WTF!!! I'm getting too old for all this craziness. So tell me sealer is not necessary. PLEASE!!!!!! lol

Registered Member

Epoxy is a great sealer. One purpose of a sealer coat is to have a uniform color of primer/sealer so that the base coat hides uniformly. Another thing is that the sealer/primer coat that you spray base on to should somewhat match the base. Or it should be light gray/white. What color is your SPI epoxy?

Registered Member

I "was" using gray but later found out I need to use white because I'm spraying red base so after all body work was done I applied two coats white epoxy then sanded 400-600. So Why would I need to apply a sealer when their specs say sand if it sets over 6 hours which it would cause there's no way I could seal wait 6 hours then paint all in the same day, I'm only good for 6 hours of work then I fall asleep.

Registered Member

You should be good if your white epoxy has been sanded within a few days prior. Sounds like you were already headed in the same direction that I posted on the primer/sealer color. If it's been more than a few days just scuff it with some relatively fine Scotchbrite.

Registered Member

You say if it's been more then a few days, what about weeks? The last coat was applied a week ago and I'm not sure when I will have time to paint, could be another few weeks. So if I wait that long just do a scuff using red scothbrite pads right before I paint no matter how long I wait?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHarley View Post
    I found PPG Viper red on ebay. Is this junk since it's only $200 bucks a gallon?
    That's the guy I bought mine from...it's the real deal. You can't beat his prices...his name is Bill. Don't hesitate to deal with him.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Doc, what I would suggest is that you scuff the sanded epoxy with something fine (red Scotchbrite may be too coarse) a day or two prior to painting, if not the same day. I was thinking gray Scotchbrite - but be careful there's gray that's coarse too. The scuffing won't be a big job relatively speaking.

You're on the right track here, go for it.

Member #:2017
    Red is too coarse as Rick said. Use a grey scotchbrite if needed. If your present "sealed" coat of white has no grey break-throughs it should be fine as is. If you do see grey through the white in any areas it WILL show through in the final coat.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Red scotch bright is comparable to 320-400 sand paper, gray 3m #7448 is comparable to 600-800 sand paper, but use a block with it also. SPI recommends a sealer coat of epoxy for chip resistance, after scuffing, and before base coat. This is a quote from their---Perfect Paint Job--- write up,

"When all of the primer blocking and any necessary primer repairs are finished it’s always best to use the epoxy as a sealer. Mix up enough epoxy to go around the car with one wet coat and adding a double shot glass of SPI #885 Urethane Reducer per quart. Let the epoxy set for 30 minutes. Stir one more time and strain. Spray one full wet coat of epoxy over the entire car. The epoxy should set for 2 hours before spraying basecoat or the next option is let it set over night and wet sand the epoxy with 400-800 then spray the base."
    http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...aint-job/c1go8
    Last edited by LEE T; 08-24-2016 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Add link

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast