Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ain't much of a garage to brag about...

Member #:115
    Looks great Paul, but no insulation, drywall or epoxy floor? You probably don't need heat where you are but insulation will also keep the shop cooler. I have to tell you I LOVE my epoxy floor in my new shop. The time to do it is before you get too much stuff inside.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Thanks Laszlo. The short answer to your valid points are "I ran out of money..." I'm way north of 6 figures to get to this point, so I'll stop and save for a bit and then resume with those improvements. In the mean time, I have an enclosed, lock-able building to continue with my car habit.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Thanks Laszlo. The short answer to your valid points are "I ran out of money..." I'm way north of 6 figures to get to this point, so I'll stop and save for a bit and then resume with those improvements. In the mean time, I have an enclosed, lock-able building to continue with my car habit.
    Yeah but insulation and drywall are the cheap stuff. You already spent 99% of the money. But I understand. I started loading up my old shop before I drywalled it and never have finished the floor. I built the first 1150 SF foot shop for about $15K and have around $30K in the new 1300 SF shop addition. But I did almost all the work myself on the old shop except concrete, brick, roof and drywall. Same with the new shop addition but I also hired a guy to help me with excavation and framing on that one. Mine were both paid for as I built and I retired in the middle of the build of the addition, so it got slow at points. But they're both paid for.

If you decide to epoxy the floor I highly recommend using Epoxy-Coat. I got all I needed at Lowes for around $1200 (less than $1 per SF) and my son and I applied it over a weekend. It's tough and hard as concrete.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yeah but insulation and drywall are the cheap stuff.
    Agree, and it will make a difference. You can do the walls yourself, just rolls of pink insulation and drywall sheets. You don't even have to finish the joints, just screw the drywall to the studs and paint it. The ceiling is another matter (harder to do yourself) but probably makes more difference.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Looks great! I wouldn't worry about finishing it yet either. I had to do mine in stages too. After finishing my 18 year Camaro project, and didn't have a car project to work on, I finally had a chance to finally finish the inside of my garage over a couple years, which I had been wanting to do for many years. If I had finished the garage first, I would be working on the damn car still. I still want to do improvements, but that's not going to happen till my current projects are finished, which with so many distractions, that is going to take way longer than I wanted. The projects are finished, cruising down the road in my dreams though.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have a two pole barns 30 x 50 and 30 X 40, the 30 x 50 shop space is insulated and the other is storage. The insulated is hot or cold depending on season

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    looking good, unfinished walls/floor is something I could live with till you have the funds. reminds me of the way most were back when I was a kid.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    looking good, unfinished walls/floor is something I could live with till you have the funds. reminds me of the way most were back when I was a kid.
    I must still be a kid then. Usually from a lack of funds.

I've been through this with both of my shops. The problem with "waiting" is it gets harder and harder to go back and finish. As you pile more and more equipment, build more and more shelves and benches, and pack it with cars and parts it's more work to go backward. Also, once you get oil on the floor it really affects your ability to finish the floor correctly so it doesn't peel off. I need to re-paint the inside of my old shop, and even that's going to be a huge mess. I can't imagine going back and drywalling it now. The floor is so spotted with oil, grease, paint, etc that it would be a huge chore to finish, not to mention emptying the entire shop somehow to do it. I don't know where I'd put all the stuff. I did the new shop right....I finished it (no benches yet) before anything went into it. I know money can be an issue, but drywall and insulation is cheap. I'd borrow the money if I had to. Just speaking from experience.

1103141753a.jpg

20141220_002.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Congrats on the build. It looks good. Make it yours and do it your way. When I built mine, there were things I needed to do later because of funds; a loft, bookcases for shop manuals, high shelving, extra recessed lighting. Do it when you can and can afford it and take pride in what you have done.

Like you said, you have a good lockable space for your cars.

Nicely done,

Scorp

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast