Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting aluminum engine parts

Member #:115

Painting aluminum engine parts

I painted my iron BBC engine block with DPLF followed by PPG DBC base and PPG clear. I've read that automotive urethane is fine to use on engines so that's what I used.

However, I now need to paint my valve covers and intake manifolds which are aluminum. I don't think I can use the same process because aluminum requires different preparation and primers. They are clean, new, and have never been used on a running engine.

Has anyone here tried this, and what did you use? I did an internet search on the subject and some people recommend zinc chromate primer, some recommend etch primers, and there are a lot of other opinions. I want to topcoat with the same PPG base and clearcoat.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Found this from PPG....they say to sand with 120-180 grit. Not going to do that.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refini.../Aluminum-Prep

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3124
    Painting Aluminium, my experience.

We painted the Mast of my Sailboat in 1993, it's nearly 60 long and has been in the Salty Ocean water Coastal environment since. No bubbles on paint issues. Just a few paint chips near the deck for years of hard parts whacking the mask. The finish Coat is still in very good condition after years of use in a tough environment, few waxing, and near constant rubbing or smacking of running rigging lines directly on the Paint.

Our Process,,,

sand blasted the Mast to bare metal,, blew off loose sand and dust Mast was set horizontally on steel waist high stands.

Acid washed the bare aluminum.

Acetone wash, poured Acetone over the mash while rubbing with while rags. Then a second pass only pouring Acetone on the Mast and let air dry.

Lightly sanded the mast to the manufacturers spec of the ZC primer, forget the grit size.

Acetone wash, same process

Applied Zinc Chromatic primer per exact manufacturers spec. We did not sand the ZC primer

Applied Feather Fill (Evercoat) a
    A two-part, polyester primer surfacer. Feather Fill can be applied o bare Aluminum, be I opted to use the ZC on the bare Aluminum. We lightly wet sanded surface.

Acetone Washed again

Applied While Delstar color, two prepared coats.

We let the mast set a few days outside in the Sun. All of the holes and treadled holes were cleaned and re-tapped threads prior to the painting process. After, all of the threaded holes we re-taped and a generous amount of Anti-Siege was applied.

Key points that I recommend are,,

Always wear latex gloves, Don't handle the bare aluminum parts with bare hands.

We wore good dust masks during the prep work, aluminum dust..

Once the Aluminum parts are cleaned with acetone, Immediately apply the ZC Primer, same for the FF Printer and Final Coats..

Once the ZC Primer has been applied, finish the project to the Color Coat as soon as possible.

Read your ZC and FF primer Tech Notes,, , As Not all Primers are recommended for Sand Blasted surfaces.

Good Painting ....

The Center Bolt Valve Cover on my C4 are a nice set of Bow Tie Aluminum (cast) Covers, But the Chrome has dulled over the years. I'm thinking that I might have the Chrome removed and paint these covers I'm concerned about the paint on hot valve cover.

Any recommendations or experience with a quality paint for valve covers ??

Quote Originally Posted by oceangoer View Post
    Any recommendations or experience with a quality paint for valve covers ??

Are you wanting a standard color like Chevy orange or a custom car color? I figure valve covers don't get any hotter than around 225-250F, which isn't much hotter than coolant. Automotive urethane should work fine.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3124
    Prob Red or Orange, nothing exotic.. Car's is a Red Convert , most likely Red...

It's a Fast Burn ZZ4 with the typical center bolt covers. The Chrome valve Covers look awful now, time for some engine by clean up.

thanks,

Michael....

Banned

Member #:2775
    Unless it is trashed, I think bare clean cast/machined aluminum looks awesome. Plus, no paint or polishing required.

The only problem with bare aluminum is it's all silver unless it's anodized a different color.

My engine parts will be painted dark gray to match the engine block and the rest of the drivetrain. T56 tranny will also be painted dark gray. Polished and chromed stuff seems to be going by the wayside, and I don't want to be polishing aluminum all the time which it needs or it gets ugly.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

That's why silver looks so good on steel, or aluminum, and even car bodies. It's the natural color.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 09-08-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I think bare clean cast/machined aluminum looks awesome.
    Cast AL gets too dirty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Cast AL gets too dirty
    Only if it gets dirty, then you just clean it like anything else. Unless you have leaks, or salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast