Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Way too long 265 Engine Build

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    unlike some on here I have about 10 other cars done and ready to go 24/7. I have two early 70s Camaros set up for strip If I feel the need for speed.
    Sure you do....and not one picture ever posted to prove you own even ONE. LOL!

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

Another stupid remark from chevynutroll

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You are really losing it, if you were as smart as you think you are you would remember the pictures I posted form test and tune night at the dragstrip of my 67 SS and 56. I have also posted U Tube clips of my 55 at KKOA. I do not care what someone who does not even have one running car thinks.

Member #:115
    I guess today I'll go out and wash my 14 Lamborghinis and take my Ferrari Enzo for a spin to blow out the cobwebs. Need to change the oil and filter in my two Porsche GTs later this afternoon and vacuum out my Camaro ZL1 and C7 Corvette Z06. So much to do.

Sorry, I can't post any pics of any of them because my camera's batteries are dead. But I could probably find pics or videos of other cars like them to post.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-18-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3138
    I am new to the site here but the ranting back and forth REALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY ENGINE PROJECT ! Not that I am crying like a little baby because my thread is getting hijacked but YOUR HIJACKING THE THREAD FOR A WHOLE BUNCH OF CRAP ! HOW ABOUT IF YOU DELETED YOUR RESPONSE SO IT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY FROM THE INFORMATION PEOPLE MIGHT LEARN BY READING THIS THREAD IN CASE THEY WANT TO BUILD A 265 ! THANKS !
    I would actually like people to offer their thoughts, bench racing and experience to help me out as I would for anybody else who asked me.

To get back to the thread I started so I can get QUALITY INPUT from people, This is the cam I was looking at and ironically it is the exact cam Lunati suggested when I talked to them. Not purchased yet, ordering my gaskets so I can get to porting my heads.
    Let me know your thoughts and if anybody has used this cam in an engine build of theirs, I'd like to hear what you ended up with and if you were happy with it.
    Voodoo Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam & Lifter Kit - Chevrolet Small Block 270/278

Product Description

Lunati’s Voodoo series of camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum and better efficiency. These factors, combined with maximum horsepower and torque, make Voodoo camshafts the perfect choice for a wide range of high performance applications.Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Strong power increase in mildly modified engines with excellent throttle response. Will work with stock converter in 383-up c.i.. Likes 2000 RPM converter in 350 or less c.i. applications. Likes 3.23-3.73 gearing. Largest choice for inboard/outboard marine applications. Has noticeable idle and likes headers.

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/278
    • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
    • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515/.530
    • LSA/ICL: 112/106
    • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    • RPM Range: 1800-6000
    • Includes: Cam & Lifters (#72330-16)

Part Number: 20120711LK
    Previous Part Number: 60111LK

Jobber Price: $605.56

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Your complaints are well taken, you shouldn't have to put up with this BS, especially when it escalates and gets personal not involving you.

The cam specs you have in mind seem to be suitable for what you're trying to do - if you want to drive the car more than race it.

Thanks Rick_L. I know this wouldn't be all that radical in a bigger engine but it should be healthy in the 265. My car right now has a mild 350, tame enough to drive 7 1/2 hours both way and back from The Meltdown Drags and it ran 13.96 with a quick launch but no hole shot. I may build a full race car one day but one project at a time !

Alright engine gurus, how close to the bore should the fire ring of your head gasket be to the bore ? Due to the scalloped shapes at the top of my bores, the head gaskets I bought are right at the edge of them. I don't have a picture at the moment but thought I would ask first. I may be limited to a certain bore/combustion chamber shape since this was done to the block, so it brings up another question: How thin of a had gasket can I run with aluminum heads ?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My opinion is that you can use an .015" steel head gasket with your aluminum heads with the fire ring right on the bore if that's what you have. Run the gasket as you would with iron heads, using Permatex Hi-Tack, K&W Copper Kote, or aluminum paint to seal the water passages.

If you were going to be making 600 hp then I'd steer you another direction.

You may see evidence of the heads lifting/moving but you won't see actual compression loss. I have run a thin steel head gasket on a 650 hp drag race engine (but with iron heads) and didn't have a problem. Of course this recommendation requires that your block and heads need to be flat.

If you go with a composition gasket, it will be much thicker and made for a much bigger bore.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 09-27-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Rick_L. I am going to have to really inspect it, just did a quick fit. I may have to go thicker to get one that fits, this one might be too close. I messaged the guy I bought the engine from to see if he remembers what gasket part number he used that will match up with it. He raced cars and seemed to remember all he other stuff he always used, so maybe he will remember.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast