Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Way too long 265 Engine Build

Member #:3138

The Way too long 265 Engine Build

I started thinking about this build 3 years ago because when an old hot rodder I know said "OH, you just have a boring old 350", he got me thinking. I know, no replacement for displacement but I decided to research the crap out of making something different and fun. With massive research, talking to Junior Stocker and Nostalgia Super Stock guys, my goal is to make a mid 13 second power plant for my 55. It will be with modern parts, not an old style Duntov cam style build. It was going to start with a 55 265 block (it is the actual 265 from my dads car in 1960) but I was pursuaded by the racer guys to find a 56 265 block. I found one old balanced race prepped block for the huge price tag of $100 ! Found out it had a cracked piston, no loss we it will be for a future build. Then I found a good deal. I found another 56 block, .060, dome pistons fully balanced and blueprinted for a whopping $400 ! Was going to be built with 601 305 Chevy heads but I came across a cheap set of aluminum L98 heads and they seem to be a better fit for my goal. Plan is for a modern retrofit hydraulic roller cam, engine should be right about 10.5:1. In the future I may adapt an Eaton M112 blower and different heads BUT I have to get off my ass and build it first with a carb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bfalfa55; 09-13-2016 at 06:03 PM.

I am sure some of you have seen the start of this build on other forums and how I have drug my feet for years to do it but I knew I was in no hurry to do it. I welcome anybody's input and ideas, especially anybody who has tried to get the most potential out of a 265 or 283 using more modern parts and technology. I am not trying to go 10's, just trying to make an impressive, street/strip, fun car for what it is. Opinions wanted and appreciated !

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Nothing cooler than a small journal small block built with era correct parts.

I unfortunately won't be all era correct on parts, the look of the car will be but I will try to subdue the look of some of the non-era parts. I might even paint my L98 aluminum heads chevy orange but who knows. I am going to run ribbed magnesium Vette valve covers on my L98 heads. They have an old look to them even though they are center bold covers. I will have to post a pic of them.

These are 80's vintage Vette L98 magnesium covers. Someone put a lot of effort to polish them because these are some of the worst castings Chevy ever made. That is why all the covers were painted a gray rough finish. The still have a long way to go. I may actually only finish polishing the tops and blsck wrinkle the sides because they are that crappy. I have removed the vette emblem was thinking of putting 55 vette eblems on them to go with the old theme.vette_valve_covers.jpg

Registered Member

Not familiar with L-98 heads, how many cc are they.

L98 Aluminum heads have 58cc chambers, 1.94 and 1.5 valves, screw in studs and guide plates. These are 1991 version which are the most improved by GM. They are essentially the same aluminum head they put on their ZZ4 crate engines. They have roughly a 1.2 x 1.9 stock intake port at the gasket. I will be opening them up slightly as I don't need or want to go big ports because it will hurt the little engine too much on the low side of power. There are a few aftermarket heads that would be better but with a 265 you are limited because of the small bore. These ported slightly and in just the right places should be a great compliment to this engine.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What's your bore size? Have you checked the intake valve clearance to the cylinder bore?

My thought is that it will clear a .060" over bore, but maybe not .030" over. This is based on trying to run a 2.05" intake valve with a 3.905" bore (283 over .030"). We had to cut the 2.05" valve down to 2.04". I know that's not much, and unfortunately I don't remember what the exact clearance was.

Here's my numbers - a .030 over bore on your 265 means the cylinder moves inward by .0625", and the 1.94 valve means the valve moves inward by .050". This would mean the .030/1.94 combo would have .0125" less clearance than the 3.905/2.04 combo. The .060" over bore on your combo means the bore moves in by .0475", and the valve by .050", and you'd have .0025" more clearance than my old combo. These differences are pretty small and could vary with different blocks and heads, so it would always be wise to check.

It is .060 over. A 1.94 will work, 2.02 would have to have clearance. Some guys have run these heads on 305's with an over bore. I will certainly check but it should be good based on all the discussions I've had with guys who have built and raced some more radical 265's.

Registered Member

My plan for an early SBC is 57 PP heads with 1.84 HO 305 intake valves. I am sure your plan will make more HP but I am always not looking for max. performance because unlike some on here I have about 10 other cars done and ready to go 24/7. I have two early 70s Camaros set up for strip If I feel the need for speed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast