Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Attempting to weld a 1/4 inch panel gap

Banned

Member #:2775

Attempting to weld a 1/4 inch panel gap

A new firewall would have been better, but I'm going to try to weld the huge piece someone hacked out of this one. The panel gap is too wide to butt weld, so I'm using 1/8in tig rod as a filler. Taking short pieces bent to follow the contours, and tacking in place at this stage. I think it will work. A couple sections are too wide that will need a small piece of sheet metal. It will blend right in with all the other hack repairs done 40 years ago.IMG_0229.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0233.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 09-15-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Member #:2017
    You're likely looking at quite a bit of heat and distortion filling in that much width. Another option is to weld a strip of sheet metal around the perimeter of the inner piece, then planish when complete to remove distortion. Now trim to fit the hole, weld, planish, etc. until complete.

And this isn't to say your method won't work. But another may be easier/quicker.
    Last edited by MP&C; 09-16-2016 at 05:47 AM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Good advice Robert.

I've had to use that method when I've made an error and trimmed too much. I cut a 3/4" - 1" strip and weld it to the piece that I can weld at the bench. Then planish and grind, and finally do a new trimming job. The wider strip keeps it from getting too hot while welding it. The planished and metal finished weld means the panel will behave like normal sheet metal when you weld it in place.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    A new firewall would have been better, but I'm going to try to weld the huge piece someone hacked out of this one. The panel gap is too wide to butt weld, so I'm using 1/8in tig rod as a filler. Taking short pieces bent to follow the contours, and tacking in place at this stage. I think it will work. A couple sections are too wide that will need a small piece of sheet metal. It will blend right in with all the other hack repairs done 40 years ago.IMG_0229.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0233.jpg
    Almost seems like it would be simpler to get a replacement firewall. Less work 4 certain.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    However you decide to do it, you won't have to worry too much about distortion, not like a body panel anyway. First of all there is a lot of shape there which will reduce it, and the engine will cover all most all of it anyway.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Finally got it back in place after too many windy days to weld outside, and other stuff to do. Far from perfect, but blasted, a little filler, paint, and an engine hiding,IMG_0311.JPG it will have to do. Seam sealer will handle the backside under carpet, etc. Emptied out an old can of paint right over the dirt for now.IMG_0312.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-20-2016 at 05:15 AM.

Member #:1653