Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SB 400 build suggestions

Member #:1608
    Most good aftermarket heads have a raised exhaust port. Having angle plugs heads help with spark plugs...I would do it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Over the years I have seen angle plug heads cause as many issues with wires as they solve. To bad OP is so far away I have a std bore 400 block of the 509 casting varity with a std crank I would love to trade for a small journal 327.
    Last edited by markm; 09-26-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Member #:1608
    A lot depends on the headers. I had some fuelie heads on this motor first and didn't have an issue at all. Went to a AFR's with straight plug and had issues. New setup has angle and much better

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I really try to avoid things like discussing header fitment. I have a set of Hedmen headers on a BBC Camaro that were the envy of my Ford driving friends. Then I installed ARP head bolts, first trip to grinder, then Canfield alum heads with raised EX ports, my header fitment is no longer the envy of the neighborhood.

Additionally, on 55-57 cars especially their are dozens of motor mount setups stock, forward even some setback all of these factors can effect header fitment.
    Last edited by markm; 09-26-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds56 View Post
    One more Question related to new Alum. head choice-- Angled or Straight plug heads?? ---- Currently running Patriot H8055 headers with my double hump heads.
    Angled plugs, most of the better aluminum heads will be anyway. I've never really had any serious plug wire clearance issues with most common long tube headers and proper wire and loom types.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There's usually a way. Angled plugs on factory heads are not a problem at all with most headers, in fact they have better clearance most of the time than straight plugs. Many of the aftermarket heads move them farther and this becomes a challenge.

Registered Member

Member #:2084
    I'd check with the mfg myself. I've never had a problem with angle plugs with my Doug's headers...they are a bit tight in spots though. Don't be surprised if you have to run heat sleeves of some type to keep the boots from melting. The worst two plugs to change are on the passenger side...if you leave the battery on the firewall that is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123