Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QA-1

Member #:230

QA-1

I was wondering if any of you have used the QA-1 coilovers that Williams Classic Chassis sells for the 567 shock relocation bar they sell. I asked Andrew the part# number that they sell with the bar but he would not give me the information, i do have the bar but wanted to research the coilovers and also price them out.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Member #:1608
    I dont have an answer for ya on the QA1...Have you reached out to RideTech, Vulcan?

Member #:115
    Marty, it would not be that hard to figure out which QA-1 shock they're using. All you really need is the ride height length and desired stroke. I don't think the shocks are priced very differently based on length. Pricing has more to do with adjustability. Check with Summit Racing as they have pretty good pricing on QA-1 coilovers and springs.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Marty, which bar? They have two. One is an eye top and the other is a stud mount top. What are your plans for the lower mount? As Laszlo mentioned, pretty simple solution if all of the data needed is known.

Hi and Thank you, My bar is for a sedan, if you can tell me how to approach my measurements i can do that with confidence i just do not want to get in to buying them and then having to send them back. I really like the stance my 55 has now and do not want to change that.

I do not have the bar installed yet, planned on doing it all together.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by 56-210Sedan View Post
    Hi and Thank you, My bar is for a sedan, if you can tell me how to approach my measurements i can do that with confidence i just do not want to get in to buying them and then having to send them back. I really like the stance my 55 has now and do not want to change that.

I do not have the bar installed yet, planned on doing it all together.
    And the lower mount is? Images help a lot.

Marty, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. I assume your car has the stock leaf springs in the rear. Are you deleting those somehow? If not, why are you going with a coilover shock?

Nick asked whether you were using the shock bar with the stud or eye mount but you didn't answer. The choices for a coilover with a stud mount are very limited as far as I can tell If you have the eye mount bar, you have more choices. Do you know which type of QA-1 shocks (Proma-Star, Ultraride, etc.) you want to use?

To measure for a coilover you need to set the car at the ride height you want. Then you need to put the shock bar where it is going to go, even if it's temporary. Make sure you install the lower mount you intend to use. Now measure between the centers of the shock mounting holes. You need to pick a shock that has a recommended ride height range that matches your measurement. Typically this will be 1/3 to 1/2 compressed.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

To further this thread along, and C-Nut hinted toward the question on my mind since you began the discussion. You stated "CoilOvers". The begging question is, what suspension are you planning to replace the present suspension, i.e. leafs, shackles, plates and std. shocks with? Not saying you can't run the CO's in conjunction but the ride would be deplorable and totally unacceptable. Now, certainly, you can run just the shock sans spring, but the decisions need data - help us help you. As to a QA1 and its performance, they work fairly well. Double adjustable, depending upon the task to achieve might be considered. The good part, they are re-buildable.

OK, well my understanding of suspensions shows so i have found out a little more and your reply's confirm just that. bottom shock mount would still be stock with leaf springs, only change would be the addition of the shock relocation bar from Williams, which uses a stud through mount much like the stock shock just not through trunk metal.

I do not need coilovers in the rear with leaf springs, on the cheap i could use a Monroe shock #33049 but would rather use the QA1 now there still is the question on keeping ride height, i am assuming i should measure or spec the shock that is currently on there, then cross reference?

QA1 has shocks TN&TS 902 Aluminum Stocker star shocks that are listed for stock trifives, even though the relocation bar is a "little" shorter distance wise it is my guess they would still work?

I apologize not visiting back to the site to check reply's timely but my hours are crazy now with very little time for internet and on top of that i have been doing a lot of fishing which is a good thing
    Marty

Marty, ride height will not change if you use a non-coilover shock. The 902TN (non-adjustable) shock is listed as having an extended length of 22.88" and a compressed length of 14.13". The adjustable versions are both 1/4" longer. The first thing you need to do, imo, is locate the shock bar and take a measurement at the ride height you want, then find the shock to match that. They have other shocks with the same configuration that are shorter, like the 802 and others.

Here's what they say about measuring for a shock:

"How do I measure my car's ride height?

Measuring your race car’s ride height is an important step in the overall suspension setup. Here’s what we recommend: compressed and extended mounting lengths are measured from the center of the loops to the shock/stud shoulders. If the measurements are taken from mounting surface to mounting surface, subtract 5/8” for each shaft/stud end. The preferred measurement in most cases is taken with the car sitting on the ground ready to go. If setting up the chassis for the first time, simulate the approximate ride height before measuring. In most cases, we recommend the shock to be half-way compressed at ride height to ensure adequate compression and rebound travel."

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast