New owner and need advice(coz im new to it all)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markm
    Registered Member
    • May 2012

Looks nothing like my car, not everyone wants to run 8 inch wide wheels on the front of their car or hack it up for a c4 job.

Comment

• chevynut
      Registered Member
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by markm
      Looks nothing like my car
      Same wheel mounting surface width as yours though, which doesn't work with tires most guys want to run and a lowered suspension.

not everyone wants to run 8 inch wide wheels on the front of their car or hack it up for a c4 job.
      No, not "everyone" does. Guys stuck in the 60's that don't own a digital camera or a cellphone or even a touchtone phone (LOL ) don't want the more modern looks of wider tires and larger wheels, nor the greatly improved performance that a C4 suspension provides. They run wimpy 5" wheels and 195 tires so they don't rub with the 7/8" offset hubs and balloon ATV-type tires on 15" wheels in the rear. The stock suspension on these cars sucks, and everyone knows it that's why they upgrade them. Some guys don't understand that time and technology has long passed them by.
      56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
      56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
      57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
      1962 327/340HP Corvette
      1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
      2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• chevynut
        Registered Member
        • Nov 2011

not everyone wants to run 8 inch wide wheels on the front of their car or hack it up for a c4 job.
        Hey markm, look at this C4 "hack job"! Let's see yours!

20161028_015.jpg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• Maddog
          Registered Member
          • Aug 2012

The "chevelle" based disc kit with your stock 15" (5" wide) wheels will work just fine. The problems occur when you try to run 8" wide wheels or huge tires

Comment

• markm
            Registered Member
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Maddog
            The "chevelle" based disc kit with your stock 15" (5" wide) wheels will work just fine. The problems occur when you try to run 8" wide wheels or huge tires
            My point exactly even 6 wide wheels and 215 or 225 of the 70 series are no issue and look fine.

Comment

• Rick_L
              Registered Member
              • Apr 2012

The exaggeration in some of these posts is pitiful, both directions.

The Chevelle rotors on stock spindles will work but only if you don't lower the car, and don't run a rim with too little backspacing and bigger than about a 215 tire. In other words it's an upgrade for a near stock car.

Otherwise you need to be considering other options, like the "zero offset" kit, or a dropped spindle. Even with those you need to pay attention to tire size and wheel offset.

Comment

• chevynut
                Registered Member
                • Nov 2011

I posted a pic and explained to the OP what to expect with the recommended Chevelle rotors and gave him numbers to go by. I also said they're fine if you don't lower the car, or if the fender doesn't come down to the tire when the suspension is compressed. If the car is at stock height or higher, they're probably ok. But I have heard of a lot of guys having problems with them, regardless of what anyone says. My car was set up with them and you can see the result, regardless of the size of the tire that's shown. A picture is worth a thousand words, that's why I posted one. Notice nobody else did?

I think it's fair to discuss the pros and cons of any modification, so the one asking the questions gets the full picture and can choose wisely. Apparently some people don't.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• chevynut
                  Registered Member
                  • Nov 2011

My point exactly even 6 wide wheels and 215 or 225 of the 70 series are no issue and look fine.
                  Wheel width doesn't matter much, mostly wheel offset and tire size. A 225 tire is 8.85" wide so going from a 6" wheel to a 7 or 8" wheel doesn't affect sidewall width much. And there's no issue as long as the fender stays over the top of the tire.

6" or 7" zero offset wheels with a 225 tire would result in a tire width of about 70.1" on a stock suspension with Chevelle rotors. The outside of the fenders on a 56 are only 72.5" wide so the tire sidewall is only 1.2" inboard of the OUTSIDE of the fender lip. That has to put the sidewall very close to the inner fender lip. Again, I think that looks bad (imo) and will surely rub if that fender drops much below the top of the tire on a full lock turn.

Why don't you post a picture of what it looks like?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                  1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                  2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
                    Registered Member
                    • Sep 2013

From the kits I have researched the offsets range from zero to .58 each side on stock spindles. The big brake kits from CPP advertise .38 per side. they also offer a smaller brake kit that is .38 per side. The Wilwood kits are advertised at .23 per side offset if that helps many options available today.

Comment

• enigma57
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2016

This is my old '56, circa 1979. Track width was stock. OEM chrome wheels were 15" X 7" (option for Chevelle) and radial tires were G60 X 15" (26-1/2" tall with 8-1/4" tread width). Handled well. Didn't rub, but anything larger would have. I did rework the inner lips of both rear wheel openings with a hammer and block of wood to gain a bit more clearance there.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
                      Last edited by enigma57; 11-16-2016, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...