Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Panicked, and ordered the Banski Motorsports trailing arms on clearance

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nick, the .8 degrees is the "twist" of the dogbones looking at them along the axis, not from the side. The camber changes about 1.6 degrees in 3" suspension travel as shown in your diagram above and prior calculations I did and it's absorbed by two bushings, so each bushings sees .8 degrees of offset which is mousenuts and can easily be absorbed by the poly.
    And the bending forces on the 13mm front bolt can easily handle the rest. Like a coat hanger

Member #:1653
    Nick, the .8 degrees is the "twist" of the dogbones looking at them along the axis, not from the side. The camber changes about 1.6 degrees in 3" suspension travel as shown in your diagram above and prior calculations I did and it's absorbed by two bushings, so each bushings sees .8 degrees of offset which is mousenuts and can easily be absorbed by the poly.
    But, the Axle, Knuckle, Tire and Dogbones are a unit along with all of the fasteners and move at the same time so shouldn't they receive the same 1.6°? If anything, the dogbone itself with either rubber or poly is trying to resist motion due to the nature of the bushings. BTW, that drawing above is from the rear not side.

Member #:115
    Hey dumbass RD, I already showed you that the bolt can handle the loads, but obviously you're too stupid to understand engineering principles. There are lots of examples of a single shear dogbone front mount that have worked out just fine, but your ignorance won't let you admit it. I give up on trying to educate you, you're a certified moron. You should try working on getting your CG down a little before the car tips over.

Nick, imagine a dogbone with bushings front and rear, and bolted in the front. Now, put a bolt through the rear bushing and twist it 1.6 degrees. The front bushing will deflect .8 degrees and the rear bushing will deflect .8 degrees for a total of 1.6 degrees from the front bolt to the rear bolt. I don't expect RD to understand that, and months from now he'll still be whining about how bad poly bushings are despite thousands or tens of thousands of guys using them. He would rather put up with all the noise and vibration that tiny underpowererd engine of his can muster.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:777
    Hey dumbass RD, I already showed you that the bolt can handle the loads, but obviously you're too stupid to understand engineering principles. There are lots of examples of a single shear dogbone front mount that have worked out just fine, but your ignorance won't let you admit it. I give up on trying to educate you, you're a certified moron. You should try working on getting your CG down a little before the car tips over.

Nick, imagine a dogbone with bushings front and rear, and bolted in the front. Now, put a bolt through the rear bushing and twist it 1.6 degrees. The front bushing will deflect .8 degrees and the rear bushing will deflect .8 degrees for a total of 1.6 degrees from the front bolt to the rear bolt. I don't expect RD to understand that, and months from now he'll still be whining about how bad poly bushings are despite thousands or tens of thousands of guys using them. He would rather put up with all the noise and vibration that tiny underpowererd engine of his can muster.

Cnutroll still calling everyone dirty names, many immigrants tend to do things like that.

Key word, "DEFLECT"

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    And the bending forces on the 13mm front bolt can easily handle the rest. Like a coat hanger
    RD, I'm trying very hard to have a conversation that will provide information and an understanding for future individuals that may want to venture into this task for their own vehicles. You, along with a select few others on the other hand want to act like a, what was that special word you used earlier, oh yes F___K - add ing and clowns. If you cant resist it, go to yellow bullet where you and those others like you will be so welcome and will fit in like the rest of the children there.

Again, what you fail to understand is that all of your arguments are null and void given that you went out and purchased a chassis that exhibits all of the conditions you continue to rag on. You continue to berate the very product and GM engineering you purchased - I just fail to understand you path.

Member #:115
    Yeah Nick RD can't even calculate how much stress there is on the parts nor what the strength is, he just freaks out about shit he's ignorant about and makes up phantom "problems". When you prove him wrong with real engineering calculations and logic he shuts up only to come back with his same stupid crap a week or two later after it's all been explained to him a dozen times. The guy is an idiot imo.

And this is what he said in July.... " All the bushings look great, and the original pads and rotors show little wear and will get reused too. The whole purpose of using a C4 conversion was to not buy a ton of aftermarket parts to make a better driving car. " I guess the rubber bushings he thought were so great weren't so great after all.

IMO RD will never finish his 55 project. He bolted the chassis together which any teen-age kid could do, and it sits there because he's too obsessed with addressing non-problems and bashing others who try something different that he doesn't understand. I just wonder when the firewall is going to fall out.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    All you calculated was the single shear force on 2 steel plates bolted tightly together with a 1/2 inch bolt , which is just dandy for something standing still. Where are the cyclic, and bending forces in your analysis in regards to fatigue on a bolted a non press fit 3/4 inch sleeve on sleeve? Of course it is plenty strong enough on paper, or sitting in the garage. What happens if the joint loosens? And, if you are truly an engineer, why would you put cyclic bending forces on the threaded portion of a heavily loaded heim joint on a torque arm? Even an idiot can see that's not going to last very long. You might want to consider a safety link on that too.
    I'm not worried about it like this. Oops, other than the poly bushing!
    IMG_0391.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-05-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234