Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight Scoop on Disc Brakes

Member #:115
    The tires I showed on my nomad with the Chevelle rotors were shown with a 3 inch suspension drop from stock which is what a lot of guys do (2" dropped spindles and 1" lowering springs) which is also about what you get with the stock suspension compressed close to the a-arm bumper. If you look closely you can see the all-thread used to pull it down to that ride height which I was trying to simulate.

That CAN happen with a stock suspension too. Try doing that and turning with those disc brakes and the tires will rub. The picture from the front shows the tire position very clearly. If you set the car up sky high in front and the fender never drops below the top of the tires on turns those misfit rotors will work fine.

But most guys nowadays who got past the 60s drop their cars at least 2" in front. Not sure why anyone would use that junk when there are much better options available.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

What the hell is a "garden variety 3.66"? Is that some kind of cabbage or tomato? Lmao!

I get lots of nice comments on my soon to be finished nomad that's a high quality build, something you know nothing about.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Not certain of what you want to convey .

He's trying to convey a "half-truth" in showing the tire from the side with a stock or higher than stock suspension height (he supposedly has a bbc that we've never seen so they're not stock front springs) and with the car standing still with the wheels pointed straight ahead. For some reason he thinks guys should use those ill-fitting Chevelle rotors that we know move each tire outboard 7/8" into the line of the fender lip just because they work on his jacked up car.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:777
    cnutroll is building his first car (20+years) and is an expert in every thing, what a fool. ROTFLMAO

Banned

Member #:2775
    Somebody is not trying to sell anybody anything, and seemed have missed the day in salesmanship class when they discussed the subject of, customer courtesy, and
    "The customer might be right", or something like that.

Banned

Member #:2775
    IMO try-fives look so much better just slightly lowered, than one with the tire tucked up above the fender opening anyway. No car looks better that way. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of any great looking performance production cars, of any year, with the tires up in the fender opening, that look good. Most aftermarket brake kits move the wheel outboard 7/8 of an inch, which can actually enhance cornering with a wider track. Heck on my Camaro I'm running 15 x 10's 275/60-15 tires, with a 3 3/4 inch backspace, widening the track around 4 inches, or more. Handles pretty good believe it or not, even with a huge scrub radius. I've raised my car another inch, because you cannot always have too much compression travel in your suspension. When you bottom out your spring rates go through the roof. Even the bad a$$ NASCARS have a wide track with zero inches of ground clearance, but the wheels are not tucked up in the fenders.
    No engineering, just Hot Rodding.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-07-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

He's trying to convey a "half-truth" in showing the tire from the side with a stock or higher than stock suspension height (he supposedly has a bbc that we've never seen so they're not stock front springs) and with the car standing still with the wheels pointed straight ahead. For some reason he thinks guys should use those ill-fitting Chevelle rotors that we know move each tire outboard 7/8" into the line of the fender lip just because they work on his jacked up car.
    Like usual your arrogance and big mouth are in overdrive. My 56 has never had BBC, furthermore I have never said it does, that would ne my 55. Those so called lifted springs came out of a low mileage 1957 4 door 210 in 1975. I personally do not give a crap what you run or anyone else but that picture you posted was misleading as hell, Now after being called out you admit the car was lowered 3 inches.

You just can't admit that there are much better disc brake options that don't move the wheels out so the tire rubs the fender. Most guys lower their cars so they handle better you don't understand that lowered 3" is the same as compressing the suspension 3". I guess that simple fact confuses you. A poster should get the full picture instead of a biased one like you gave. By the way, why don't you post the pic from the front? Lol!! The tire's almost under the fender lip that's why!!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    IMO try-fives look so much better just slightly lowered, than one with the tire tucked up above the fender opening anyway.
    Your opinion has nothing to do with it. I just posted the facts about Chevelle rotors. You cut the fenders on your "Camaro" (if you can still call it one). You expect guys to do that on a tri5 too? Most guys like lowered cars and neither of you can understand that the tire's go up in the fenderwells when the suspension bottoms out. Seems like a simple concept to me.

Most aftermarket brake kits move the wheel outboard 7/8 of an inch,
    Again you prove how little you know about the subject.

which can actually enhance cornering with a wider track.
    that's pretty hilarious. So you're going to "enhance cornering " with a CG high enough to clear the tire's? Lol!!!

Heck on my Camaro I'm running 15 x 10's 275/60-15 tires, with a 3 3/4 inch backspace, widening the track around 4 inches, or more.
    Heck, and you hacked the fenders too. Why did you do that?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Somebody is not trying to sell anybody anything, and seemed have missed the day in salesmanship class when they discussed the subject of, customer courtesy, and
    "The customer might be right", or something like that.
    Who's the customer? Certainly not markm. No "Customer" is involved here and I didn't waste my time in any salesmanship class. I have a steady stream of customers, as much as I want since I'm retired and work as much or as little as I want. In fact at this time I'm booked through at least January maybe further. I simply tell the truth and not half the truth and guys appreciate that.

By the way how many years of college does it take to become a tire changer in Iowa? And how many years of experience before you can pretend to be an engineer?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast