Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Straight Scoop on Disc Brakes

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    There's a lot better disc brake kits available that don't push the wheels out 7/8" per side like the Chevelle brakes do. What exactly are you wanting to do? If you're going to spend the money on a kit, get one with zero or close to zero offset. The caliper bracket has to match the rotor so you can't just buy any bracket or any rotor.
    Going back to near where this thread started, I'm still wondering where the link is to all of these better zero offset disc brake kits? A +22mm offset wheel is all it would take, if needed to correct for the Chevelle set up.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-05-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Want the "straight scoop"? Here's a car with the old-school Chevelle disc brakes on stock spindles.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170216

Notice how far out the tires are relative to the fender opening. If it was lowered much at all, or if the suspension compressed on a tight turn, I'm pretty darn sure the tire would rub the fender. I've dealt with these tire questions for years on Trifive and lots of guys say they have rubbing problems if the tires are much over 67.5" outside to outside. That's why I developed the tire calculator that lots of guys use. And I still think this looks bad even with only 205 tires in front and worse if they're bigger. Notice markm has never provided frontal pics of his car? And he says my pics are "wrong"? lol.

Rocky, why don't you tell us how much room you need between the tire and fender when pointed straight, since you seem to know so much about it? That pic you posted is the other extreme, with the tires too far inboard and way too small, imo.
    What the hell did I do to be drug back in to this crap. Cnut might actually have a running driving car if he did not spend so much time trashing those who have running driving cars. Had about enough of this site and him.

Member #:2442
    I have used the tire calculator quite a bit to figure out what size tires and wheels would work on my C4 conversion and appreciate the effort that went into setting that up for anyone to use. It has been very helpful to me, and is a great guide to give you pretty close. In the real world it doesn't mean you can't go a bit wider from my experience or need to go a bit narrower. I think one of the reasons I have not had rubbing issues with the C4 is there is far less body roll than with a stock set up. I had rubbing issues with 235/60/15 tires on 0 offset wheels with dropped spindles and brakes that made the front end about 1/2" wider per side. As far as what looks good and what doesn't is just a matter of opinion. Build your car the way you like and don't worry about what anybody else thinks, It's your car!!! I like cars low to the ground, no such thing as to low to me. Just can't be so low that you can't drive it, but that is what air bags are for.

IMG_20160829_185634.jpg
    Here is mine with the 275/40/17 tires on the front

IMG_20160615_135219.jpg
    this is with the 245/50/16 tires on the front. To narrow with the 245's but this is mostly due to the wheel offset, not the tire width
    I recently bought a set of Nitto 555 for the front and rear to use on the Corvette wheels
    255/40/17 for the front, 285/40/17 for the rear. I'll post some pictures when I get those on the car.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Thank you for your post George! and a great looking '55...

What size were the 90 Corvette wheels you had on your car in your first photo? and did you have any issues running them with the corvette suspension front and rear? the 90 Corvette wheels could be 8.5, 9.5, (and ZR1 has 11" on rear).. The ones on the front of your '55 are front wheels (either 8.5 or 9.5)..

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    dis·cus·sion
    dəˈskəSH(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: discussion
    1. the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
    "the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion"
    o a conversation or debate about a certain topic.
    plural noun: discussions
    "discussions about environmental improvement programs"
    synonyms: conversation, talk, dialogue, discourse, conference, debate, exchange of views, consultation, deliberation; More
    powwow, chat, tête-à-tête, heart-to-heart, huddle;
    negotiations, parley;
    informalconfab, chitchat, rap (session), skull session, bull session;
    formalconfabulation, colloquy
    "a long discussion with her husband"
    o a detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.

The above, is the definition of what was it you used, oh yes – discussion – and your articulate reply was
    Well, that even looks like shit set inboard, and too low.
    Pray tell, enlighten us as to how those words fall into the definition above or, do you use an entirely different dictionary? Provide validated documentation to your claims – no different than you seem to require from those you continue to ar·gue with without evidence but only opinions.
    ˈärɡyo͞o/
    verb
    verb: argue; 3rd person present: argues; past tense: argued; past participle: argued; gerund or present participle: arguing
    1. 1.
    give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.
    "defense attorneys argue that the police lacked “probable cause” to arrest the driver"
    synonyms: contend, assert, maintain, insist, hold, claim, reason, allege; More
    formalaver, represent, opine
    "they argued that the government was to blame"
    o persuade someone to do or not to do (something) by giving reasons.
    "I tried to argue him out of it"
    2. 2.
    exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.
    "don't argue with me"
    synonyms: quarrel, disagree, squabble, bicker, fight, wrangle, dispute, feud, have words, cross swords, lock horns, be at each other's throats;
    informalspat
    "the children are always arguing"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WagonWonder View Post
    My, my. You two are a hoot. Opinions..................................oh, right I remember, something about everyone has one. You two fight like an old divorced couple.
    Thanks so much for adding to the forum, your ideas, opinions, suggestions to the discussions, and not trying to start any arguments.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Thank you for your post George! and a great looking '55...

What size were the 90 Corvette wheels you had on your car in your first photo? and did you have any issues running them with the corvette suspension front and rear? the 90 Corvette wheels could be 8.5, 9.5, (and ZR1 has 11" on rear).. The ones on the front of your '55 are front wheels (either 8.5 or 9.5)..
    Who's George? lol
    The Corvette wheels are 17 x 9.5 front and back with 56mm offset. Tires are 275/40/17 which are the stock sizes for a base 90 Corvette. They are the same for front and rear, but are directional do there is 2 right side and 2 left side wheels. I have had them on my 55 since late August of 2016 and didn't have any rubbing issues with them. Pretty close at full lock but they do just clear. Not usually going very fast with the wheels at full lock anyway.
    Thanks, Brian

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Who's George? lol
    The Corvette wheels are 17 x 9.5 front and back with 56mm offset. Tires are 275/40/17 which are the stock sizes for a base 90 Corvette. They are the same for front and rear, but are directional do there is 2 right side and 2 left side wheels. I have had them on my 55 since late August of 2016 and didn't have any rubbing issues with them. Pretty close at full lock but they do just clear. Not usually going very fast with the wheels at full lock anyway.
    Thanks, Brian
    Thanks, that's good to know C55 that a 275 can fit. It should be an doable fit with a 255/45-18 which is an inch narrower, and 1.5 inches taller on a 8.5 wheel, which I think would be a good combo with lots of sticky tire choices. The 5 spoke 16's you have on do look better though, which might be close to some front C5 5 spoke front 17's.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-06-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Member #:3217
    Who's George? lol
    Thanks, Brian
    Sorry Brian!

I thought I saw George at the bottom of your post (or maybe I had a flashback to the Little Big HOrn??). . and Thanks for the info on your wheels. It's good to know what a stock Corvette 17x9.5" wheel will work on the front and back of my Nomad (sitting on Corvette Corrections chassis)..

Banned

Who's George? lol
    Thanks, Brian
    I see from this chart a couple Corvette wheel options with the +56 mm offset you said fit well 17x8.5 56mm front 97-04 vette, and 18 x 8.5 56 mm front 97 to 13 vette. http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast