X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markm
    Registered Member
    • May 2012

Straight Scoop on Disc Brakes

Here is what a running driving car actually looks like with a 225/70/15 tire using 1970 Chevelle style rotors. The example previously posted on here of the Nomad did not accurately depict things. Its purpose was to try and sell chassis conversions. I am selling nothing but the truth.
    Attached Files
  • Maddog
    Registered Member
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by markm
    Here is what a running driving car actually looks like with a 225/70/15 tire using 1970 Chevelle style rotors. The example previously posted on here of the Nomad did not accurately depict things. Its purpose was to try and sell chassis conversions. I am selling nothing but the truth.

I would guess that's a 15x6 wheel. It's the fools that try to use an 8" wide wheel that have problems

Comment

• rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
      Registered Member
      • Sep 2013

That looks great Mark you need a set of these to top it off.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 11-07-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• markm
        Registered Member
        • May 2012

Cool. I have a set of 225/70/15 Goodyear Eagles on stock rallys with dog dish 56 hubcaps I used to run.

Comment

• Rustaddict
          Registered Member
          • Jun 2015

Is that a 6" wheel or a 7" ?

Comment

• rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
            Registered Member
            • Sep 2013

Cool. I have a set of 225/70/15 Goodyear Eagles on stock rallys with dog dish 56 hubcaps I used to run.
            I like that look also. I have been torn between the 5 spoke American or the new billet rally's with dog dish caps for a more factory look. Might even run white walls with that setup..

Comment

• markm
              Registered Member
              • May 2012

My current rallys and these are both 15x6. Same wheels on front of my 55 with 215/70/15 with 15x8.5 on rear.
              Last edited by markm; 11-07-2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• NickP
                Registered Member
                • Mar 2012

Not certain of what you want to convey but a straight on image like this offers no real definition. A before and after of the tire relative to fender edge may give more insight as to the effected change on can expect. Also, the back spacing on the wheel needs to be published. I'm not criticizing your effort so please take no offense. I understand the intended objective but the method of documenting may need consideration.

A front shot with either a string/plumb bob or other reference may be helpful.

Comment

• chevynut
                  Registered Member
                  • Nov 2011

Oh lookie marks found a camera!! Notice you neglect to show what it's like from the front. How deceitful. You can't see the issue from the side. The wheel mounting surface is 61.25" wide with those 50 year old Chevelle rotors. The outside of the tires is over 70 inches wide with zero offset wheels and 225 tires which is about the same as the inside of the fender lips. It looks stupid like that imo. If the car didn't sit sky high the tires would rub the fenders. If the car is dropped and the suspension compresses to where to fender is below the top of the tire it will rub. That's what I said in the prior thread where you obviously got butt hurt. I'd Throw away that 50 year old garbage that doesn't fit right and get a proper disc brake kit that keeps the tires in the fenderwells. Imo.

Wheel size doesn't matter, only tire size and wheel offset. Notice he also neglects to post wheel offset..... Probably doesn't know. Typical. lol!

My purpose in pointing this out was to help the previous poster from making a mistake using those rotors when there's better ones available. That's what I said before. I never tried to sell him anything. I sell c4 stuff to guys who want high performance upgrades not 60 year old junk.
                  56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
                  56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                  57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                  1962 327/340HP Corvette
                  1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                  2001 Porsche Boxster S
                  2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
                  2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• markm
                    Registered Member
                    • May 2012

Wheel size doesn't matter, only tire size and wheel offset. Notice he also neglects to post wheel offset..... Probably doesn't know. Typical. lol!

Garden variety 3.66 nothing special.

What's funny is all the nice comments I get when I dive it. Something you know nothing about.

Comment

• chevynut
                      Registered Member
                      • Nov 2011

The tires I showed on my nomad with the Chevelle rotors were shown with a 3 inch suspension drop from stock which is what a lot of guys do (2" dropped spindles and 1" lowering springs) which is also about what you get with the stock suspension compressed close to the a-arm bumper. If you look closely you can see the all-thread used to pull it down to that ride height which I was trying to simulate.

That CAN happen with a stock suspension too. Try doing that and turning with those disc brakes and the tires will rub. The picture from the front shows the tire position very clearly. If you set the car up sky high in front and the fender never drops below the top of the tires on turns those misfit rotors will work fine.

But most guys nowadays who got past the 60s drop their cars at least 2" in front. Not sure why anyone would use that junk when there are much better options available.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                      1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                      2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• chevynut
                        Registered Member
                        • Nov 2011

What the hell is a "garden variety 3.66"? Is that some kind of cabbage or tomato? Lmao!

I get lots of nice comments on my soon to be finished nomad that's a high quality build, something you know nothing about.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                        2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• chevynut
                          Registered Member
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by NickP
                          Not certain of what you want to convey .

He's trying to convey a "half-truth" in showing the tire from the side with a stock or higher than stock suspension height (he supposedly has a bbc that we've never seen so they're not stock front springs) and with the car standing still with the wheels pointed straight ahead. For some reason he thinks guys should use those ill-fitting Chevelle rotors that we know move each tire outboard 7/8" into the line of the fender lip just because they work on his jacked up car.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
                          1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                          2001 Porsche Boxster S

Comment

• Maddog
                            Registered Member
                            • Aug 2012

cnutroll is building his first car (20+years) and is an expert in every thing, what a fool. ROTFLMAO

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                              Registered Member
                              • Nov 2015

Somebody is not trying to sell anybody anything, and seemed have missed the day in salesmanship class when they discussed the subject of, customer courtesy, and
                              "The customer might be right", or something like that.

Comment

Working...