Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member introduction, Another Nomader...

Member #:3217
    Thanks.. The '56 mechanically was predominantly done by a prior owner, in a hurry, so there are some remaining issues that need addressing. Since I purchased it, I've redone the interior... flooring, carpet, linoleum/stainless, and seats. I need to address the transmission fluid leaks (I think might be due to 'too short' a Lokar filler, so I'm going to order a longer Lokar filler hose.. I just purchased a tool for installing fittings (crimper) on AC hoses so I can redo the VA hoses (which were done by idiots), and hopefully make the VA work.

Re the '57... 2+ years ago, I was restoring it to 'stock' ... The stock chassis was restored, the floor was restored, and I had all restored parts ready to install as soon as the 'body/paint shop' returned my painted body.. instead the paint shop 'quit' in the middle, so the '57 body got brought back home to my shop, needing body/paint to be completed (see my comments re the exhaust fan issues in my homemade paint booth).. In the interim, I've decided (with some Rockytopper help!) to update the drive train, so I purchased the chassis and the LS1/4L60 to make it a more driveable car - my goal is to get it 'road ready' for long road trips, principally so I can drive it to CNA conventions across the country.

I also have a '55 Nomad which I purchased in 1974, it's partially disassembled.. waiting on ME to have time for it..
    I've owned the '57 since 1988, and I purchased the '56 around 2 yrs ago. Now I'm retired, and have more time, but somehow along the way my energy levels have depreciated from being able to go 20 hrs/day to about 6-7 hrs a day..

Member #:1608
    Nice ones for sure

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I like the 56. What issues or solutions are you trying to determine for the 57?
    Primarily... wheel choice. Due to the big brakes on the Corvette chassis, I must use a 17" or larger wheel. The '88-'96 C4 rear is much wider than stock '57, so my wheels will need a large offset and I haven't found one with appropriate offset (that I like).. I tend to like simple 5-spoke type wheels.. more retro to early mags. I need to get the body on the chassis in order to really measure/determine accurately what I really need... If I have to have custom wheels made... then it's $$$ that I would prefer not to spend, but might have to.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Primarily... wheel choice. Due to the big brakes on the Corvette chassis, I must use a 17" or larger wheel. The '88-'96 C4 rear is much wider than stock '57, so my wheels will need a large offset and I haven't found one with appropriate offset (that I like).. I tend to like simple 5-spoke type wheels.. more retro to early mags. I need to get the body on the chassis in order to really measure/determine accurately what I really need... If I have to have custom wheels made... then it's $$$ that I would prefer not to spend, but might have to.
    When you say "big brakes" do you have the OEM J55 13" brake setup? One option to use a smaller diameter wheel would be to go to the standard 12" late C4 rotors is you have the 13" ones but you won't get under 16" wheels that way.

It looks like you have a late C4 front end and it sounds like the rear is late too. Also, I don't know what the front design ride height is on your chassis and how low the car will be, but I'm sure it's lowered from stock and my rule of thumb says you should be at about 67.5" or narrower to prevent rubbing. I think you can get by with a little wider if that makes a difference, like 67.75". Custer 55 here has recent experience with wheel and tire fitment on his C4 conversion. I personally wouldn't go with anything wider than 67.75" in front. What size tire do you want to run in front? That will determine the offset you need to maintain those widths. My conversions handle a 245 tire well, and I think a 255 would work too.

In the rear you have a couple of options. You can stay with the 63.25" stock late rear or you can change the knuckles out for early ones that will make the rear 62.25" wide at the mounting surfaces, or 1" narrowed. The stock 57 rear is 60.125". That knuckle change gets you a little less positive offset and the only functional difference is the e-brake setup. All the other suspension parts interchange.

How big of a tire are you planning in the rear? A 275 or 285 tire will work without minitubs if you get the right wheel offset.

Most wheel manufacturers I've looked at can do the offset needed for just about any custom wheel they have, but you won't find a "standard" off-the-shelf wheels like on your 56 that will work because they usually have zero to 1/2" offset. Personally I think your 56 would look better with a more modern 17" wheel, but that's me . I just don't care for those old-school mags with all the nice wheels out there nowadays.
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-16-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Yes, I have the later model '88-96 C4 suspensions, both front and rear, with the 13" brakes. Billy Dawson has personal classics (a '55 sedan and a '56 Nomad) with the same chassis/suspension under them and they look good; he does tell me that he has to loosen the bottom mount of the rear shock to get the rear tires on/off... He says a 5-6" backspace will work; I think he's using a 9" on the rear and 8" wide wheel on the front of his, so I can buy the same wheels he's using if I have to, but the wheels he's using are a bit too 'modern' looking for me.. (Some of us old farts prefer the older look).. Here is Billy's '55 and rear tire/wheel combo.

DSC07929 (Copy).JPG

DSC00028 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-17-2016 at 06:05 AM.

BamaNomad, that wheelwell opening doesn't look like a stock 55 to me, is it? It looks like it's been raised.

I typically don't talk backspacing because it depends on wheel width. It's easier and more correct imo to talk offset because wheel width isn't a factor then. A 9" wheel with 5" backspacing will have zero offset, and with 6" backspacing it will have +1" offset (~+25mm). But it's the TIRE that determines what offset you really need unless you just want to center the wheel in the wheelwell. Whether or not you have minitubs also factors into it because they provide more room for a tire.

Let's assume you DON'T have minitubs. In that case I recommend a 275 max tire size. The quarter panel wheelwell lips on these cars typically average about 71 3/4" wide and the inner tubs are 46 1/2" wide. So you have a space of about 12 5/8" for a tire. A 275 is close to 11" wide so you have around 3/4" clearance on each side of the tire if centered. The center of the wheelwells would be 59 1/8" apart and the late C4 rear is 63.25". This would require a wheel offset of about 2 1/16" (52mm) to fit the tire in the center of the wheelwell. For a 9" wheel that's 7" backspacing.

You can bias the tire further toward the quarter if you want to, but imo 5-6" backspacing isn't going to work on a 9" wheel.

As far as tire removal, one thing that might help especially on a 57 is to get a longer shock than you really need and run it more compressed. I can take the tires off of my Nomad without removing the shocks. Not sure about the swaybar yet.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

BamaNomad, I just looked at a wheel that popular on these cars that you might like. It's the AR Torq Thrust M.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...-torq-thrust-m

This wheel is available in 17x9" with 45mm offset (6.77" BS). If you put a 275 tire on this wheel it would give you a track width of 59.7" which would give you clearance to the quarter panel lip of about .61" and about 1.18" to the inner wheelwell. IMO that's a pretty good fit.

You can also get the Torq Thrust II in 17x9.5" with 52mm offset which would also fit well.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...torq-thrust-ii

I guess I'm at a loss as to why people think they have to run Corvette wheels on these cars with a C4 suspension. There's lots of choices out there for custom wheels that work, and I just found some options taking a quick look.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Chevynut... Now that you mention it, I think Billy's rear wheelwell on the '55 HAS been raised an inch or two... I didn't catch that, and he didn't mention it.. Attached is a photo of his '56 Nomad with similar wheels... It doesn't appear that the '56 wheel wells have been raised... (as was the '55, but '55 std wheel wells are pretty tight on the rear).

DSC07953 (Copy).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    BamaNomad, I just looked at a wheel that popular on these cars that you might like. It's the AR Torq Thrust M.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...-torq-thrust-m

This wheel is available in 17x9" with 45mm offset (6.77" BS). If you put a 275 tire on this wheel it would give you a track width of 59.7" which would give you clearance to the quarter panel lip of about .61" and about 1.18" to the inner wheelwell. IMO that's a pretty good fit.

You can also get the Torq Thrust II in 17x9.5" with 52mm offset which would also fit well.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...torq-thrust-ii

I guess I'm at a loss as to why people think they have to run Corvette wheels on these cars with a C4 suspension. There's lots of choices out there for custom wheels that work, and I just found some options taking a quick look.
    Chevynut: I have seen those wheels advertised, and have been tempted to purchase already, but I thought it would be more wise to wait until I had the body on the new chassis... but it sounds like you have those measurements down pat! I'm thinking a 9" as you propose for the rear, but use of a 17x8" or even 17x 7" on the front...

I do appreciate the information you've provided (very much).. and you are right, I DO like the AR torque thrust M or II's better than the fancier wheels... and I also like the VN327 (Rallye wheel lookalikes)..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-17-2016 at 07:14 AM.

I would take measurements on your car if you can, but I'm pretty sure mine are close to correct. My 56 Nomad measures 71 11/16" between the rear opening lips and I've measured the C4 rearends accurately. Again, if you want 1/2" less backspacing change out the knuckle assemblies...they're not that expensive. Good luck on your choice.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast