Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LS A/C relocation

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Thanks guys, that's good to know. Wade actually notched his k-member years ago instead of moving the compressor up . I think that would be a bad choice today with all the bracket options out there. I'm sure I'll get this question from some of my customers because we've done quite a few LS-based conversions.
    I would also add that on the Holley website there are PDF documents with drawings that do a really good job of explaining the differences between the different types of brackets. In addition to that there are instructions that clearly show and explain what's going on with them and parts lists of all the required components with multiple vendor part numbers that are very helpful in procuring the needed parts including small fittings and such to make the install much easier. They have really done a good job with this product line.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Thanks guys, that's good to know. Wade actually notched his k-member years ago instead of moving the compressor up . I think that would be a bad choice today with all the bracket options out there. I'm sure I'll get this question from some of my customers because we've done quite a few LS-based conversions.
    It is good to keep it low so that it can run on it's on belt. However I agree cutting the k member on a stock frame is a pain so to speak I guess but If I was having you build me one from scratch like you offer I would ask for it to be notched if possible just to keep the a/c on its on belt.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The flip side of a low mount compressor is the difficulty in servicing it, and it makes the plumbing more difficult. Also I'm not convinced that two belts is a good thing.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    It is good to keep it low so that it can run on it's on belt. However I agree cutting the k member on a stock frame is a pain so to speak I guess but If I was having you build me one from scratch like you offer I would ask for it to be notched if possible just to keep the a/c on its on belt.
    Why is is good to have an A/C compressor run on it's own belt? I thought the whole purpose of a serpentine setup was to use one belt and make a more compact system. And no, I wouldn't do that k-member modification but if a customer wants it that way he can do it or have someone else do it for him.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Only reason I have found is GM does it to reduce NVH. Seems now they have went to a single stretch belt and eliminated the idler all together for same reason. But honestly I always thought it was a long range reliability thing sense these engines don't get serviced to 100k that maybe a/c clutch bearings might fail earlier or something to that effect. Unless your just anal about NVH not worth a concern I stand corrected. I knew GM didn't do it cause they like it lol they are way to greedy for that lol. I mean they don't even put 2 bolts in the oil pickup tube that has leak issues just to save a penny per car lol.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 11-28-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12