Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS A/C relocation

Member #:115

LS A/C relocation

Found this site that has brackets for relocating the A/C compressor on an LS engine:

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Kwik was one of the first to market LS relocation brackets including A/C. I use to have an alt relocation bracket on the market myself for f-body which I developed doing my swap. There are many options out there now and most of the major aftermarket A/C companies offer them also. Holley makes a very nice A/C bracket and it looks like it came from gm.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    As rocky said, Holley makes an OEM looking a/c bracket that mounts the compressor high on the passenger side. It's what I purchased. It is compatible with the GM Corvette accessory drive for p/s and alternator (must use Corvette balancer and water pump), or the Holley accessory drive. For gen4 Camaro and truck balancers and water pumps, it's compatible with the Holley p/s and alternator accessory drive with the appropriate installation kit, which is just spacers and longer bolts.

Chevy Performance also sells Corvette accessory drive that includes a similar bracket with compressor, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Holley bracket/compressor and either a Holley or GM p/s and alternator drive.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 11-27-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    As rocky said, Holley makes an OEM looking a/c bracket that mounts the compressor high on the passenger side. It's what I purchased. It is compatible with the GM Corvette accessory drive for p/s and alternator (must use Corvette balancer and water pump), or the Holley accessory drive. For gen4 Camaro and truck balancers and water pumps, it's compatible with the Holley p/s and alternator accessory drive with the appropriate installation kit, which is just spacers and longer bolts.

Chevy Performance also sells Corvette accessory drive that includes a similar bracket with compressor, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Holley bracket/compressor and either a Holley or GM p/s and alternator drive.
    Here's my Holley setup. I just got it powder coated and bolted on yesterday. It's the Corvette setup as well.IMG_1238.JPG

So if all a guy wanted to do is move the A/C from the low passenger side to the upper passenger side, what all parts do you need? I have customers who need to do that. Sounds like it's not just a different bracket, pulleys, tensioner, etc. The Holley bracket says you also need an "installation kit". What would it cost just to move the stock LS A/C compressor.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    So if all a guy wanted to do is move the A/C from the low passenger side to the upper passenger side, what all parts do you need? I have customers who need to do that. Sounds like it's not just a different bracket, pulleys, tensioner, etc. The Holley bracket says you also need an "installation kit". What would it cost just to move the stock LS A/C compressor.
    I could only speak to the Corvette set up as that's what I have, however I do think the other f body and truck systems would be the same. You would need the bracket assy based on your choice of A/C compressor SD7,SD508 or R4, I honestly don't know what type a Corvette comes from GM with so I assume it's wrong and you need to replace it. If so you'd have to buy the A/C Comp, tensioner, idler and install kit which spaces it to match your type of current set up with the then correct bolts. Holley sells a kit with every thing except the install kit for about $480. The install kit is then about $50. That's prices from their website, I suspect you might find them cheaper elsewhere but I haven't looked. If you happened to have the correct compressor type you could knock $250 or so off the $480.
    Last edited by Bluegrass Trifive; 11-28-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The Holley "installation kit" is just spacers and bolts. For the Corvette drive, it's a spacer that goes behind the a/c bracket, along with bolts. For Gen4 Camaro and trucks, there's spacers and bolts for both brackets.
    Using this spacer scheme, they can sell the same brackets for any LS application, and for them they only need to make two castings instead of 6.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Blue grass do you have a belt part number for your setup?

Cnut as I stated above vintage air & old air products now carry many options for mounting the a/c up high or keeping it down low if desired on its on belt if it fits your application.

Thanks
    Rocky

Thanks guys, that's good to know. Wade actually notched his k-member years ago instead of moving the compressor up . I think that would be a bad choice today with all the bracket options out there. I'm sure I'll get this question from some of my customers because we've done quite a few LS-based conversions.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Blue grass do you have a belt part number for your setup?

Cnut as I stated above vintage air & old air products now carry many options for mounting the a/c up high or keeping it down low if desired on its on belt if it fits your application.

Thanks
    Rocky
    SD5 compressor uses a 6PK2540, A SD7 uses a 6PK2515. If you want to move the idler away from the power steering pump for fitting clearance you move the idler over one hole and add 1/2 inch to the belt length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast