Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spal fan positioning

Member #:115

Spal fan positioning

Guys I'm working on the "Hemi55" that's no longer going to have a Hemi but a 440 in it. I'm repositioning the engine further forward to build new engine mounts so I put the radiator support in place and tilted it back 4 degrees. I'm trying to get the engine as far forward as possible in front per the customer's request.

The stock radiator support has a flange on the front of it (V8 version) and I was wondering if that needed to be removed or if the radiator is supposed to sit in front of it. I have the Spal fan shroud set flush with the front of the flange but I'm not sure that's where it's supposed to be, or if the flange needs to be removed to install the radiator, like say a PRC or similar.

Can anyone help?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Do you have a picture of it?

This is the best I can do without going out and taking another one. See the flange on the front of the radiator support? I put the front of the SPAL fan shroud flush with that.

20141022_003.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Are you using a stock style radiator? In front or behind the core support? Not sure what your trying to do here. That small flange on the front is probably just to add strength and stiffness to the core support. It could be cut off if it's in the way.

Custer55, PRC makes a "standard" crossflow radiator for tri5s and it uses a Dual 11" SPAL fan setup behind it. I'm just trying to verify where the fan sits in the support, fore and aft, with that radiator setup. I'm thinking the radiator sits in front of that flange, and the fan shroud is even with the flange but want to verify before I finalize the engine location.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Sorry, I can't help you with that.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Moving the engine back would be the right thing to try and do before it's too late. That motor needs to be in the rear of the car, like the "Hemi under glass" car.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-30-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You worry too much.

Put the radiator up against the support, and put the fan setup inside the support. It can be right up against the radiator if you want.

When I say "against" - don't let the fins rub on anything, keep them far enough away that they don't touch.

I don't know what's going to be used for a hood latch. On a 55 with a typical aluminum radiator (PRC) mounted in front of the support, and an a/c condenser in front of it, and a stock hood latch plate, everything nearly touches. You need to add the condenser (if used) and the grille/hood latch into the mockup, or it may have to be re-done. Sometimes it's just a cut on the latch plate, sometimes you'll have to mount everything tighter.

A 55 has significant less front overhang than a 56 or 57.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 11-30-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    You worry too much.

Put the radiator up against the support, and put the fan setup inside the support. It can be right up against the radiator if you want.

When I say "against" - don't let the fins rub on anything, keep them far enough away that they don't touch.
    It's not "worrying" it's making sure I have room for the engine. This is the third time the engine mounts are being changed. The first time was when I built them for the Hemi, the second when the other guys cut mine out and put in some shitty-looking cobbled together mounts for the 440 that sat it way too high and too far back for the owner's liking. He's running a dual quad tall manifold and needs all the overhead room he can get....so he says.

The owner wants the engine as far forward as I can put it, and if I don't allow enough room and the SPAL fans end up further back, I could have a problem. I think I have the support in the right place. I have a 1/2" space between the front of the electric water pump and the fan shroud now and I'm hesitant to go any closer even if only for looks. If the flange on the front of the radiator support has to be removed to install the radiator, it will reduce that clearance by about half. Depending on exactly where the body, fenders and radiator support sit it could reduce it further. I just want to make sure I know where the fans go in the support for my mockup and I knew they could go up against the radiator.

So my original question still didn't get answered:

"The stock radiator support has a flange on the front of it (V8 version) and I was wondering if that needed to be removed or if the radiator is supposed to sit in front of it. I have the Spal fan shroud set flush with the front of the flange but I'm not sure that's where it's supposed to be, or if the flange needs to be removed to install the radiator, like say a PRC or similar. "

I'm not doing anything in front of the support so whatever the shop that finishes the car does is their problem. I don't think he's installing air, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-30-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Go back to my reply and read the bit at the end about clearance to the hood latch. Basically you have to fit the radiator and a/c condenser between the radiator support and the hood latch plate (or whatever replaces it). So it's just a clearance stack issue.

I didn't have to remove the lip on mine. PRC radiator and PRC a/c condenser. I also have an aftermarket hood latch which is maybe 1/8" smaller than the stock one. There is between 1/8" and 1/4" clearance. This is something you need to mock up, or it may have to be re-done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast