Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source for individual ARP bolts

Member #:3217
    IMO...
    1) a part doesn't have to be 'shiny/bright/chromelike' to be NICE, and 2) I'm cheap , so I'm tending to agree with Nick on this argument. I generally choose 'functionality' over 'appearance'. Through my life, I've heard that 'stainless steel' is not as strong as other steel (obviously there are degrees of this), but I tend to shy away from SS where strength is the major requirement, or for safety reasons. I'm an engineer, but I only had a couple of courses in Materials Science, and I never specialized in that arena... (Precision electro-optics-mechanics here)...

That said, 'rusty steel' is ugly, and I certainly appreciate the beautiful looks of Chevy nut's 56... and I'm sure it's more than strong enough! I like the painted parts of Chevy Nuts car as much, or better than the 'shiny stuff'..

Registered Member

Member #:571
    "a part doesn't have to be 'shiny/bright/chromelike' to be NICE"

I wholeheartedly agree with that. ARP head bolts fit that description.

Member #:516
    I was thinking A286 was stronger but turns out they're only 148k psi at RT. but hold their strength better at high temp.

Member #:530
    Hold on a sec. I think the conversation relative to material strength has merit so continue on.
    Yep, you make a good point here Nick.
    I guess I was just winded from all the other posts of late where the same few guys just go round and round and round....

Carry on!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Obviously some of you just don't understand . First of all, I started this thread to inform others about a place to buy ARP bolts one at a time. You can only get them in packs of 5 from ARP, Summit, Jegs, or anywhere else. It's not often that you need 5 of the same size bolts. I didn't post it to get into a pissing match about strength or looks of ARP bolts, but it seems like that's the way things often turn out.

I'm trying to keep all my bolts the same color instead of having a mix of black, yellow zinc, clear zinc, and stainless. Maybe that's not important to some of you, but it is to me. All my plumbing is stainless and all my aluminum is shiny silver. So why the hell would I want yellow zinc bolts here and there screwing up the looks? Looks matter to me, and maybe they don't to some of you. That's fine.

Try to find grade 8 bolts in clear zinc....you can't. I've even checked Fastenal and a local fastener store. Metric bolts are available in clear zinc or yellow zinc.

So my choices to accomplish what I WANT TO DO, is to strip and clear zinc plate the grade 8 bolts (I did that on some of them), use metric bolts (can't do that everywhere) or use high strength stainless bolts. I like the looks of the 12-point bolts and nuts....it's just me and it adds an element of quality to a build imo. We used tons of them in the aircraft industry too. I just found the chrome plated ones and don't know of anyone else who sells them.

I haven't sacrificed strength for appearance as was suggested (at least the way I read it). ARP stainless 12-point bolts ARE BETTER than Grade 8, with a tensile strength of 170 kpsi...ARP SAID IT NOT ME! So what's wrong with using ARP stainless? I don't give a rip if others don't want them, and cost isn't that big of an issue with me so I use what I want. Others can decide if the cost is worth it to them.

BTW, McMaster has the material listed wrong...it's not 18-8 or 450 stainless. I've bought their 12-point stainless bolts and they're stamped "ARP" on the top. They also list them as having 170 kpsi tensile strength, same as ARP.

So don't suggest that I'm sacrificing strength for looks. I'm not. And I'll pay for quality.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    I really love shiny stuff too. Problem is, why, and when you start, where do you stop?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 12-22-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Member #:1653
    I think, each of us here has, a specific plan for their project. What it will look like, how it will perform and hopefully remain in budget. I know it's easy to criticize a build, be it for the bling, engine choice, color, how its stance is, interior choices, tire size, chassis, suspension and on and on and on. I just wish I had a project (mine), but for now, I don't.

For the members here; I pray you find Peace this Christmas in what ever makes you happy and recall to mind that we are all homosapienes.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I really love shiny stuff too. Problem is, why, and when you start, where do you stop?
    You stop when you're satisfied.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    As an engineer, who had to learn the difference and the problem once I got out of school, I think there are TWO goals that we all at one time or another want to meet: 1) Make it *perfect*... and 2) Getting the job completed! Right out of school, I wanted to do both, but quickly realized it was impossible.. There are *other* more important goals than getting the job *perfect*... ie. 1) Finishing the job, 2) Meeting schedule, 3) meeting budget goals, and you could add many more...

I pretty quickly realized that 'doing the job perfectly', was probably an unachievable goal that would always have you chasing your tail since as you finish one 'solution', you recognize another that might be better... So I had to shift my own goals from achieving perfection, to 'doing as well as I could' within the other constraints (schedule, resources, budget, et), meeting the performance goals while staying within budget, schedule and resources available.

With most of us, perfection is well beyond our reach for our cars given our budget and time constraints, but I DO want to get the thing finished and enjoy it!! and THAT is the most important thing... do it as well as you can and can afford, but GET IT FINISHED..

Banned

Member #:2775
    I feel OCD all the time, when function doesn't follow form. Like putting center caps on a wheel in the same orientation, or screws in outlet covers, etc.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast