Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPP pitman arm failure beware!!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    chevynut, I guess I missed those photos showing the weld, or forgot I saw them. There is indeed pretty clear evidence of a bevel weld prep.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A former member has posted on the trifive CPP thread expressing concern about welding high carbon steel to cast steel, in a reply directly to CPP. Something I mentioned in an earlier post. Curious that he'd do that to say the least.

Not caring to post there and confront either, I'll comment here. CPP said that the pitman arm ball is 4130. While that's not low carbon steel, it's certainly not "high carbon". It can be welded to the cast steel with no problem using ER70S2 or ER70S6.

As we've already discussed, the fit is what CPP should be looking into. I.e., what was specified, and what was used. At this point we don't know if they had an engineering problem, or a manufacturing quality problem (or possibly both).

With a good fit, the weld's strength is not really an issue at all.

I will give CPP some credit for the response so far. They published a drawing on the other site but it had no dimensions and was otherwise incomplete. But it's not their job to have us review their drawings - their job is to make this right. I hope their engineer has a decent test plan and test facilities.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 01-06-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Member #:3217
    Who would like to be CPP's next 'test subject'??

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    I sent mine back today. No thanks.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I use the pickiest front end guy with the best rep. in this part of the world. Both of my cars still have the originals. Do they sell that many replacements.

Member #:115
    Being "picky" doesn't necessarily mean a guy knows anything about the proper construction of something like a pitman arm. I'm betting he would have bolted that CCP arm on with no questions, just like lots of other guys have done. Anyone can overlook something like that.

And being original doesn't necessarily make a better part. That's why people replace original parts on these cars. I saw one CPP arm that imo was a better design than original as the stud went in from below, with a shoulder on it. It can't come out.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12