Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: What gauges to use?

Member #:115

What gauges to use?

The stock cluster is really outdated in looks and function imo. It doesn't have a voltmeter or tach or even an oil pressure gauge. All it has is a speedometer, temperature, fuel, and odometer. The temperature gauge is mechanical as is the odometer and speedometer. The temperature gauge doesn't tell you the temperature, only a "H" or "C" indication. Some might like the "stock" look, but functionally it sucks. Mechanical gauges have so many issues even the speedo with the cable that often rattles, chatters, or breaks. Accuracy is very questionable with any mechanical instrument, imo.

The unavailable United Speedometer cluster attempts to address some of the deficiencies, but I don't know if they went electronic on everything. It still doesn't have a tach. And not all electronic gauges are equal...the old air core wire coil gauges had issues of their own and I think many suppliers still use them. I think Custom Rod Gauges suffered with them. The DD stepper motor gauges are by far the most accurate on the market, and that's what virtually all modern cars use. No car today has a mechanical speedo, tach, temperature gauge or oil pressure gauge. They're all outdated and unreliable.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    The stock cluster is really outdated in looks and function imo. It doesn't have a voltmeter or tach or even an oil pressure gauge. All it has is a speedometer, temperature, fuel, and odometer. The temperature gauge is mechanical as is the odometer and speedometer. The temperature gauge doesn't tell you the temperature, only a "H" or "C" indication. Some might like the "stock" look, but functionally it sucks. Mechanical gauges have so many issues even the speedo with the cable that often rattles, chatters, or breaks. Accuracy is very questionable with any mechanical instrument, imo.

The unavailable United Speedometer cluster attempts to address some of the deficiencies, but I don't know if they went electronic on everything. It still doesn't have a tach. And not all electronic gauges are equal...the old air core wire coil gauges had issues of their own and I think many suppliers still use them. I think Custom Rod Gauges suffered with them. The DD stepper motor gauges are by far the most accurate on the market, and that's what virtually all modern cars use. No car today has a mechanical speedo, tach, temperature gauge or oil pressure gauge. They're all outdated and unreliable.

No everyone wants there Trifive to look like a modern French whore.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Let us get it straight nothing matches the DHX setup as stated in terms of function and visual ergo. It's my top choise for modern and functional. If the OP is from CI. I'm not really the enemy even thou I have came off that way. Honestly I'm the only one in this conversation that would buy it. I have LS and honestly being experinced with said tach is not necessary with auto trans it shifts when it wants to you got no say anyway excluding the 6 speed which I'm currently installing with paddles 50's era to go with stock wheel. I get all data real time via obdll. Only thing missing is oil pressure I can hide that in the ash tray with stock unit and x box.I really like the CI unit but putting the hi beam on the gen light kills it for me if I want originality. I drive mine that big blue light glaring at me would kill that. An ls application needs both brake and engine warning. Your excuse that the bowtie hi beam is copy right could have easily been squared off no issue. If you can fix that you said on other site that your willing to work with each customer I'm all in. Send me pm.I'm the only one building a resto original on here lol.
    Rocky
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 09-28-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Even my 2003 Duramax truck with an Allison automatic has a tach. Seems like every modern car has a tach and voltage gauge now.

I didn't even know about the new DD HDX gauges until today. It figures...I buy the VHX setup and they come out with something better . I have always thought a digital speedo was better than a needle but I hate a digital tach. My Porsche has both analog and digital speedo readouts and I always look at the digital reading. The tach is the #1 instrument in the center of the Porsche cluster but the thing I don't like is there's no oil pressure or voltage gauge, only idiot lights. The Carerra has all gauges.

Here's the Dakota Digital HDX which has a customizable TFT display. Even the colors are programmable, but it's $1295 now....and not even available for a couple months.

The only think I think is screwy is the direction of the tach needle. What tach moves counter-clockwise? I think they should have put the tach on the left for easier reading, and the speedo on the right with the needle moving clockwise as speed increases.

I actually designed a cluster I wanted to build or have built (in my dreams) that didn't even have an analog speedo. This is almost as close to it as it gets.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-28-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The backwards tach is the biggest thing I don't like on the HDX. It's a non-player for me, I prefer the VDX.

I'm with Rick. Sense CI want own up and build me a custom original style I'll take that 700$ VDX off your hands CNUT so you can get the HDX lol. Which version of the VDX did you purchase?

Rocky, I got the black face with the white numbers. I just don't like either the red or blue and the white looks more OEM to me. The needle is red at night as shown in the pics. I also got the matching clock.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I'm undecided between that one or this one. Kinda liking the contrast.

Yeah the silver face was a close second choice for me. But I decided to go with the simplicity and clean look of the black alloy. I've seen all of these in person at SEMA and that's where I made up my mind on the one I wanted. I actually wanted carbon fiber face with white, but they don't offer it in that combo. I asked them why not and they told me it looks crappy...

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Even my 2003 Duramax truck with an Allison automatic has a tach. Seems like every modern car has a tach and voltage gauge now.

I didn't even know about the new DD HDX gauges until today. It figures...I buy the VHX setup and they come out with something better . I have always thought a digital speedo was better than a needle but I hate a digital tach. My Porsche has both analog and digital speedo readouts and I always look at the digital reading. The tach is the #1 instrument in the center of the Porsche cluster but the thing I don't like is there's no oil pressure or voltage gauge, only idiot lights. The Carerra has all gauges.

Here's the Dakota Digital HDX which has a customizable TFT display. Even the colors are programmable, but it's $1295 now....and not even available for a couple months.

The only think I think is screwy is the direction of the tach needle. What tach moves counter-clockwise? I think they should have put the tach on the left for easier reading, and the speedo on the right with the needle moving clockwise as speed increases.

I actually designed a cluster I wanted to build or have built (in my dreams) that didn't even have an analog speedo. This is almost as close to it as it gets.
    Pretty cool looks like new model has all colors just pick your mood. I still don't like the layout but looks like display is split or can be into 4 screens pretty cool if a DBII wireless will talk to it. I would sacfrice looks if it would display the 6 speed auto gears in tap shift mode. Speartechs now offers a display I can hide in the ash tray and keep my original cluster lol.
    http://lateral-g.net/dakota-digital-...-installation/