Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Power Brake Booster Repair

Registered Member

Member #:625

Power Brake Booster Repair

I took the booster off my Dads 68 Mustang last weekend and have found replacing it difficult. It has a Midland booster not The common Bendix $99 one from O'Riley's . Any one know of a rebuilder or have you built one yourself. Ebay has a kit for $168.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Does the booster have a multi-tooth "twist together" construction?

I built a tool to twist apart a Chevy II 9" booster, and built one good one from 2 bad ones. One had a bad air valve, and the other had a hole in the diaphragm.

The tool was just a long bar with holes in it (maybe spacers too) to pick up the studs for the master cylinder. The back side was held in a vise by the studs. I may have made something to protect the studs don't remember.

The whole deal was pretty straightforward.

$168 seems high for the parts, but I guess that's cartel pricing for you. Probably worth it as opposed to adapting a questionable reliability aftermarket booster.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Does the booster have a multi-tooth "twist together" construction?

No it has a band type clamp in the middle.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I took the booster off my Dads 68 Mustang last weekend and have found replacing it difficult. It has a Midland booster not The common Bendix $99 one from O'Riley's . Any one know of a rebuilder or have you built one yourself. Ebay has a kit for $168.
    Check out Brake Boosters Inc ... http://www.brakeboosters.com/

He has many satisfied customers in the Chevrolet/GM world... I had him do the booster for my '69 Z28 and he did a great job, and he is very accommodating if you call him... I'm sure he will answer any questions you might have.