Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 55-57 Instruments

Member #:3217
    In my opinion, a manual shift car - especially a high revving one, needs a tach. For most people running an automatic transmission, the tach is superfluous... that said, I 'like' having a tach, but don't feel the necessity in an automatic trans car to have one.

I DO feel that having oil pressure and water temp are a necessity, and volts or ammeter gauge is desirable.

I think Chevynuts' earlier point re preferring analog gauges for most displays, but accepting a digital readout for speed is a good point, and perhaps the aftermarket gauge manufacturers could consider that.. a digital display is also acceptable for a 'Volts' gauge. and even for a fuel gauge and possibly for temperature. In fact for situations where the instruments are driven by digital inputs, why not display the digital as well as the analog?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    In my opinion, a manual shift car - especially a high revving one, needs a tach. For most people running an automatic transmission, the tach is superfluous... that said, I 'like' having a tach, but don't feel the necessity in an automatic trans car to have one.

I DO feel that having oil pressure and water temp are a necessity, and volts or ammeter gauge is desirable.

I think Chevynuts' earlier point re preferring analog gauges for most displays, but accepting a digital readout for speed is a good point, and perhaps the aftermarket gauge manufacturers could consider that.. a digital display is also acceptable for a 'Volts' gauge. and even for a fuel gauge and possibly for temperature. In fact for situations where the instruments are driven by digital inputs, why not display the digital as well as the analog?
    I suspect, were a poll taken of all high performance high revving automobile owners the "Never Look" column would win out, stick or not. Just sayin.

Member #:3217
    You may be right.. are you saying that you never look at your tach, and thus don't need one?

I have a '69 Z28, 69 Corvette 350/350hp/4speed, and a couple of 90 ZR-1 (7K redline, 6 speed), and when I'm power shifting those cars, I always look at (and shift at) my tach... Otherwise, I only look at the tach if I'm trying to figure something out or having some issue...

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    You may be right.. are you saying that you never look at your tach, and thus don't need one?
    Instrumentation is, for me, entirely dependent upon the application. I see no need if there is no need. If I have issues relative to performance I pop out the laptop and look rather than fumbling with something as inaccurate as most of the present-day instrumentation.

In the area I live in, taking your eyes from the roads to look at something that mundane will get you killed, run over or otherwise sidelined. It's a matter of preference for certain and I simply prefer not to have or use one. Should I build another task oriented vehicle, i.e. racecar, then as I mentioned, once again a tach and shift light will be ever present along with a full compliment of other instruments alerting me to any issue requiring my attention.

Gadgets not required.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Bama I agree with electronic auto and tach is optional but nice to have. But I do look down ever now and then 15 miles down the road or so doing 70 and wonder why I'm taching 3 grand only to realize I pulled it past OD lol and I'm still in drive. Guess I'm getting old. I might want a tach on my nomad sense I plan to paddle shift a 6 speed auto lol.

I personally like the belaire III but don't like the high beam not in the middle and the current one used for a check engine light which is a must with obdII. It does not appear to support that? IMO if ones desires to remain stock no real need for this product. You can run a stock speedo with gps box or x box. I can display an entire dash like Cnut posted or any form digital or what ever you desire on a IPhone or Ipad via obdII wireless and see it in real time even air intake temps and tons of other data if desired. Every thing but oil pressure I would hide it and check engine light in ash tray if I kept he stock cluster and run a 56 temp gauge.
    Just my opinion lots of folks like them looks like a great product. For the record I did ask if I could get one customized on their post on the other site to address my dislikes and no response so I gave up on it lol.
    Rocky

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS View Post
    One of the Best features the ne Bel Era III has is the fuel gauge is programmable. If you have a specific OHM fuel sending unit, your capable of programming the fuel gauge to what OHM range you have by selecting it with the push button. Great and easy feature!!
    Yes,just had my gauge set sent in to be adjusted to 0-90 ohms.

Member #:115
    I wonder how long before someone comes up with a large LCD display that covers the entire 55-56 instrument opening, and you decide what you want to display on it. You could have a couple modes...one for cruising, one for racing. You could change the layout and colors to be anything you want them to be. The technology is all there....someone just has to decide to do it.

Personally I like to see a tach ( I look at mine regularly), speedo (digital only is preferred), oil pressure, fuel level, temp, and voltage. I wouldn't buy a cluster without a tach or anything else missing. I want backlighting, since side-lighting like the stock instruments is really lacking and non-uniform, LED or not. I want the accuracy of stepper motor movements that initialize themselves every power cycle. I want to be able to set up alarms like hood open, e-brake on, and other programmable things. A bonus would be OAT and Compass but I currently have those in my rearview mirror. And on top of that it all has to look good and be laid out right and use modern instrument technology while being reasonably priced.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    all of that...plus heads up display projected onto the windshield.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I love the original style of the Bel Era III. I like tachs too, but not a must have with an auto, with a rev limiter. With a LSx OBDII, I can scan anything on the engine with a $12 Bluetooth adaptor, along with GPS on my phone if needed. Warning lights/shift light are a must have when racing, autocrossing, or driving at the limits for me anyway, because my attention is focused on driving the car with no chance of having time to look down at a gauge. If you look at your tach while autocrossing, you will run over a cone. I love gauges though. My Camaro has 12, and I don't even have a fuel level gauge. Speedo, tach, plus digital tach with shift light, F/R brake pressure, air/fuel ratio, volts, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, water pressure, and a vacuum gauge, plus 3 more bright warning lights. On the other hand, I can't count the thousands of miles I've driven only glancing at maybe the speedo, while the water temp could be pegged, or oil pressure on zero, and I wouldn't notice until something was smoking, knocking, or the engine stopped from running out of gas, and the left turn signal still flashing!
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-28-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I love the big Jones mechanical tack on the dash of my 55, Tack mandatory speedo on the other hand is not so important. I spent serious coin adding factory ones to my 72 Cheyenne and K/5. Tachs, Posi, and tilt wheels are must haves at my house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast