Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front end Bushings 57' Installation tips

Registered Member

Member #:3303

Front end Bushings 57' Installation tips

Got any ? I need to replace all of the front end rubber, or whats left... I have gotten the poly kit from Danchuk, idler arm, springs . I do have access to a press but wondering if I need special tools to install bushings . Any help would be appreciated

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Last edited by WagonWonder; 02-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Do you have a shop manual? If not get one, or find it on the internet.

There's been many a bushing removed and replaced without a press or the pressing tools. But, if you do it without spacer tools like shown in the shop manual, you may distort the control arms, and when this happens it just makes things that much more difficult.

The tools are not hard to make. You can use angle or tubing. The length is not hard to figure out - they need to be short enough to fit the space and long enough not to have more than a tiny gap when in place.

Sometimes you have to remove bushings that were put in without the right tools. You should straighten any distortion the best you can. I usually use an air chisel to drive out the old outer shells. Then you can finish the straightening once the old bushings are out.

Member #:3

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    While very informative, the Assembly Manual doesn't give repair guidance specific to a repair but rather a finished assembly.

Member #:3217
    I think the Service manual (Shop Manual)s-l225.jpg will provide instructions if you've never done it, but it is true you need the spacer (or make yourself one) before removing the old ones, or installing new ones... I've seen/heard of many control arms being crushed by not using them...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...anual&_sacat=0

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The Danchuk link that wagonwonder posted is a very good article and says pretty much what I said.

Also, the link to oldcarmanualproject.com gets you the shop manual. I had seen that site had been down on another forum, good to see it back up.

I guess each has their preferences, but I like my paper copy of the shop manual, and relative to everything else you spend, it's dirt cheap.

Registered Member

Member #:3303
    Thanks for the input, I do have a shop manual but I like first hand , hands on smarts sometimes... Experience is a great advantage ! Poly or Rubber any thoughts ?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    Thanks for the input, I do have a shop manual but I like first hand , hands on smarts sometimes... Experience is a great advantage ! Poly or Rubber any thoughts ?
    I have heard pros and cons both ways, I think a lot depends on quality of bushings.

Member #:3217
    I prefer what the general designed in for street cars (rubber) as it will give you the best ride. if you are most concerned with 'maximum handling' (with the stock control arms) and don't mind a bit more roughness in ride and the squeaks which everyone says poly will provide... then poly maintains your front suspension components closest to their design position...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast