Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

Registered Member 55 Rescue Dog's Avatar

Member #:2775
    I didn't know they had single-phase variable frequency drives (VFD) for induction motors on the market until just now. That might work great on a drill press, buffer, etc. There are endless programming options, if you can figure it all out. I am going to start thinking of one to make better use of my drill press. Changing belt/pulley positions all the time on my 15 speed Jet drill press is a PIA. That could be very handy just changing speeds with a dial.

https://www.ato.com/single-phase-vfd
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-18-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    You may find that buffing and high speed go together. There's a reason that buffer motors are 3450 rpm instead of 1725 rpm.
    I understand the 'truth' in that.. .... but the idea of attempting buffing/polishing of a 3-4' long piece of stainless trim with my 10-12" wheels at 3450 leaves me with a mental image of the trim wrapped around my neck... or stabbing me to a wall.. I'd really like to slow it down at times!

Registered Member 55 Rescue Dog's Avatar

Member #:2775
    I had to come up with a good way to remove locking lug nuts that a couple other shops couldn't do, and these 2 ways worked. I have destroyed a couple of reverse twist sockets trying to get some off, but most locking lug nuts are harder than the socket. The first one I just made 6 evenly spaced tack welds that a 3/4 socket fits over, and while still warm they all loosened up easily by hand. On the second one the wheel bolt was recessed too deep in the wheel, so I taped a 3/4 hex jam nut to the nozzle of my mig welder and pulled the trigger for a couple of seconds. Make sure and put the ground clamp on the brake rotor or wheel, so the welding current doesn't go through the wheel bearings.
    IMG_5896.JPG

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567