Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

Banned

Member #:2775
    Here it is on the front. The cherry picker was my 3rd welding project way back in 1990. I took the dimensions from an OTC one at work, and used bigger/thicker steel on everything, along with a 8 ton jack instead of the usual 3 ton. Have used it many times, even lifted a 1100 pound tire machine a few times. Breaks down easy to load it in my truck too. I could have just bought one for less, but it was a good learning project, and 1 trip to ER for a piece of metal in my eye when I should have been using a face shield for grinding, instead of safety glasses.
    IMG_3173.JPGIMG_3174.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-27-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    RD , that is a lot like mine that I built in HS metal shop. At that time about the only game in town for a hoist was Walker and they were $800. You could buy a decent Trifive for that kind of money. Walker only sold 1500 pound long jacks over the counter, two of mu buddies bought them, I opted for a cheaper 5 ton Walker short jack and 20 years ago changed to a long 8 ton. I made a lot of Beer money loaning that thing out in the 70s.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Another really cool hole-saw trick I never would have thought of. If you ever need to make a hole bigger with a hole saw you are stuck to hacking away at it after you cut the 1/4 pilot hole out. But, you can simply use the saw for the small hole as the pilot by screwing it on to the arbor inside the size hole you want.
    IMG_4742.JPG

Member #:2442
    Good tip. I will have to remember that one.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I don't plan to ever have to drive an oil pump pick-up in a old Chevy engine again, since I've been converted to LSx engines, but I came up with a great way to drive a press fit oil pump pick-up in. In my case I had a pump pick-up with a 5/8 tube. So I took an extra 5/8 wrench with a small dimple drilled into it to hold the tip a $19 air chisel. Using just enough pressure from a regulator, and a couple index marks I easily buzzed it right very tightly in to where it needed to be.Attachment 6943

Rescue, I was told and read somewhere that you do not install a pickup on an SBC or LBC for that matter with it block mounted. I use a vise and I actually have a tool for driving it on. Its low-buck and has a clamshell clamp that restss at the pick-up ridge. A couple of taps and you can drive it on. Also helps to put the pickup in the freezer to constrict the metal. Dont put the pump in the oven to expand however.

As for welding the pickup, have done it but don't anymore. I use a pick-up retention clamp that wraps around the pickup and bolts to the housing. Cheap effective insurance.

Scorp

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Rescue, I was told and read somewhere that you do not install a pickup on an SBC or LBC for that matter with it block mounted. I use a vise and I actually have a tool for driving it on. Its low-buck and has a clamshell clamp that restss at the pick-up ridge. A couple of taps and you can drive it on. Also helps to put the pickup in the freezer to constrict the metal. Dont put the pump in the oven to expand however.

As for welding the pickup, have done it but don't anymore. I use a pick-up retention clamp that wraps around the pickup and bolts to the housing. Cheap effective insurance.

Scorp
    I've always braized the pickup tube into the pump plate (NOT the assembled pump), and I've never had any issues getting the pickup tube into the plate. After braizing the pickup I then use fine sandpaper on a thick piece of flat glass to ensure the surface of the plate is flat and will seal properly. When I assemble a pump, I also use the glass/fine paper to smooth all the flat rub surfaces of the pump parts and deburr/sand the edges. On assembly I use molybdenum disulfide grease on all the rub surfaces. I think these steps help to ensure that one never has a pump issue.

BUT.. I'd still like to see a photo of your 'tool' for inserting the pickup, As well as a photo of the 'pickup retention clamp' you refer to...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Brazing, the kind with a torch and flux, is not a good way to fasten the pickup tube because of the flux. You'll never get rid of the flux. A similar but better way to join the two is to use a tig welder and silicone bronze filler rod. The process is essentially the same as actual tig welding, except that you don't have to melt the steel of the pickup and pump cover plate, so the heat involved is much less.

Member #:115
    While brazing, welding, or somehow restraining a pump pickup sounds like a good idea, why didn't GM ever do it in decades of building millions of SBC and BBC engines? Is it a real or imagined problem?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It's definitely a real problem. Risk is related to situations. The main "bad" situations are race engines, where high rpm cause vibrations of higher magnitude and more cycles, and aftermarket replacement of the pickup, where lack of required fit and bad installation practice can occur. Another bad situation is physical damage to the oil pan/pickup (think offroad stuff). The "good" situations are low rpm grocery getter applications. Factory parts installed by the factory in factory applications do well as a general statement.

I have also had a Moroso pickup tube fail from fatigue. When I went to buy a replacement, they had a brace added, so I wasn't the first one to have the problem.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    It's definitely a real problem. Risk is related to situations. The main "bad" situations are race engines, where high rpm cause vibrations of higher magnitude and more cycles, and aftermarket replacement of the pickup, where lack of required fit and bad installation practice can occur. Another bad situation is physical damage to the oil pan/pickup (think offroad stuff). The "good" situations are low rpm grocery getter applications. Factory parts installed by the factory in factory applications do well as a general statement.

I have also had a Moroso pickup tube fail from fatigue. When I went to buy a replacement, they had a brace added, so I wasn't the first one to have the problem.
    I agree with this, while I've never had a pickup come out of a pump, I have heard of it happening a few times over my 50 yrs or so of car crafting.. I also think probably a better idea would be the tack welding a brace on the tube and bolting it down (as Rick describes for the Moroso tube). Unfortunately Moroso doesn't produce such tubes for every configuration of pan/engine we build. Probably even 'safety wiring' would be preferable to braizing/welding on the steel tube and cast pump housing...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast