Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Member #:2775

Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

I'll throw this one out I just freshened up. Easy to make bench vise soft jaws. Just take some scrap 1 inch aluminum angle, by 1/16 thick, cut to length, formed to top of vise, then just duct tape it. Works so much better for gripping almost anything without damage, than the steel jaws, and if you need the steel jaws, just flip them back, or peel them off if you need to heat/bend something. They last for years, and cost almost nothing!IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0836.JPGIMG_0834.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Banned

Another vise tip. When bolting down your vise, make sure the fixed jaw is in front of the edge of the bench so you can clamp something long. I've seen it done wrong many times. IMG_0837.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.
    Thanks for that useful tip.

Member #:115
    What else do you expect, RD?

If you're making something out of aluminum and need to sand it, get some beeswax and put it on your sanding or cutting discs. I use bowstring wax in a small tube that costs about $3 and goes a long ways. I just hit the tube with the rotating disc. WD40 works but it's messier and the beeswax lasts longer. You'll be amazed at how much better the cutting action is.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    This one is borrowed from Laszlo,

This helps to keep the door flush, just don't push hard on the sanding block. Let the paper do the work.. If it needs additional stability, grab the rear door and b pillar in one hand, sand with the other..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Banned

Whenever you need to disconnect a brake line it usually makes a mess, empties out the lines and the master cylinder which makes bleeding more difficult.
    Simply use a prop rod to depress the brake pedal part way, which blocks off the outlet ports inside the cylinder. Then all the fluid is stays in the reservoir and lines down stream. Like filling up a drinking straw with water, and it stays in the straw when you block one end with your finger. IMG_0843.JPG

Banned

If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.
    IMG_0849.JPG

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.
    IMG_0849.JPG
    You can also use hose clamps with holes punched through the band to clamp tube joints together then tack the tubes together through the punched holes.

Banned

While my wife was gone for the afternoon, I thought I would try her Roomba robot vacuum out in the garage I had just swept. I couldn't believe how much it sucked up I couldn't see. Mostly dog hair. Even goes under the car that's hard to clean. Emptied out a full bin 4 times on one charge. I just need to wipe it down, and get it back in the house before she gets home. IMG_0850.JPG

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast