Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you install these body mount strips?

Member #:3217
    57 Nomad frame shim 2 (Copy).JPG57 Nomad frame shim1 (Copy).JPGNomad frame shim -cross sec view (Copy).JPGI came across some photos I'd taken of my original strips (removed from my 57 Nomad when I took the body off the frame long ago). The dimensions of the strip are: 6" L x 1.25" W x~1/4" T . They have 4 ribs on one side and 3 on the other. Four are used on the rear of the frame to isolate frame to body contact during body-frame flexing. When I removed the body from the frame, these strips were still 'stuck' to the frame, but they pulled right off with little effort...

Here are a few photos...

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Thanks for info Bama. My body mount kit dancuk part does not include them. I'm going to buy a strip from here and make my own.
    Rocky
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#9028k563/=16car4a

Member #:1653
    Says not for outdoor use.

Ohh.. I thought you had already purchased some from Ol '55? Maybe that was someone else... I have not personally seen any repros available.

Note: If you have an old tire, worn but with a bit of tread remaining, I think you could cut out sections of the tread portion and glue the back side down to the frame, with the tread up towards the floor of the body. Use the dimensions from my post for the cutting...?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Ohh.. I thought you had already purchased some from Ol '55? Maybe that was someone else... I have not personally seen any repros available.

Note: If you have an old tire, worn but with a bit of tread remaining, I think you could cut out sections of the tread portion and glue the back side down to the frame, with the tread up towards the floor of the body. Use the dimensions from my post for the cutting...?
    LOL I did buy from OL 55 they sold me dancuk kit. I called them yesterday to inquire got an unfriendly service rep lol typ Northerner . He said do you need them most folks don't. Put your car on frame if you hit stick tire chunks in there is what he said lol. He is suppose to be sending me 2 parts will report what they are. He did not even mention needing 4. I will probably just find another strip from McMaster that is for outdoors. Thanks for catch Nick I missed that. I did see outdoors but not see NO beside it lol.
    Rocky

The 'No Outdoors' specification might be more for sunlight (UV) degradability rather than anything else.. Placed between the frame and body, they wouldn't see much direct sunlight.. Personally, I'd find an old tire and cut out accurately sized pieces... and no one would ever know the difference, and I personally think it would provide the function nearly perfectly..

Here's a link for the slightly smaller strips for early C1 Corvettes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-1962-Co...RYIjVp&vxp=mtr

Have you had your body off the frame as yet, Rocky?? The originals might still be in place....?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-14-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Bama I do have the firestone slicks that came on my mad they will be fitting to use give tribute to its past life as a wanna be gasser lol.

.. works for me...

Member #:115
    My body mount kit came with those strips. I can't remember if it was the rubber ones or the poly ones but I have the new strips.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

CN? Where did you buy your body mount kit? and what brand/packager was it? I bought a Danchuk kit a few years ago and it only came with the body mounts (NO strips)...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast