Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Differential

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    63# clean and dry
    Thank you LEE T, finally someone who can answer a simple question without being a smart ass!!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    63# clean and dry
    Thank you, my guess was about 65.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Thank you LEE T, finally someone who can answer a simple question without being a smart ass!!
    Anyone with a differential case in hand and access to a bathroom scale could have answered it nearly a week ago.

How much more does a 3.55 case weigh?
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    I'm of the belief that the later design ('61? and later thru '64) are of a heavier construction, and thus should weigh more if that's true... Did you have weights for both the original design and the update design?

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    If you are asking me, then the answer is no, I only have the weight of the exact one that markm asked for.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm of the belief that the later design ('61? and later thru '64) are of a heavier construction, and thus should weigh more if that's true... Did you have weights for both the original design and the update design?
    Aren't the thicker gears 1957-on? with 55-56 thiner lighter?

Member #:3217
    Rocky, I was speaking of the differential chunk *housing* castings, and I'm totally not sure there was a change in the Posi chunk housing casting number... or not?? I've been trying to figure that out as I have a '61 dated and '63 dated '812' P-casting posi carriers...

My understanding of the thicker vs thinner gears has to do with the ratio...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-20-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    With all the rear ends I am used to looking at that do not use spacers, when the pinion gets fewer teeth and smaller,the ring gear gets thicker. Back in the 90s when I bought 9 inch Ford junk on a daily basis I could just about guess the ratio by looking at ring gear at a distance. I never dealt in many early Chevy jugs but I am sure same applies.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    55-56 3rd member housings were a bit lighter than later models. But I doubt if the difference is more than 1/2 pound.

55-56 ring gears are thinner than later models. When they first designed these axles, they didn't build in accomodations for 3.36 or 3.08 gears. With the bigger pinions on these gears, they had to make all the other gears thicker, and move the ring gear mounting surface on the differential case. 57-up gears and differential cases allow the 3.08 and 3.36 gears.

Also, the castings for 62-63 Chevy II axles are the same basic design, but are quite light relative to the others.

The difference between a p-case and an open case is a rib that's there on the open case which had to be removed for clearance with the posi differential. I don't think they are heavier at all. The rib can be removed to allow you to put a posi differential in an open 3rd member housing.

I don't think there's any significant difference in weight among all this stuff except for the Chevy II 3rd members. Even with that one it's only slight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12