Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Drive

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Why do you need 110 Octane? What are your engine specs? It's fun until you get caught.....but that's not too likely I suppose. We have to run emissions tests here and I don't know if they can check for lead.
    Not everyone lives in the Peoples Republic of Colorado, I know lots of guys who have spiked 91/92 with 107, but if you are a chicken find a Renegade fuel dealer they have unleaded with 97 octane. I just attended a seminar on their fuels and oils. Google them and call their tech line. Their Tech. Director in a great guy, college prof. and real drag racer. RD if you are serious about 85 you should call him.

Member #:115
    It's a FEDERAL law prohibiting the use of leaded fuel in highway vehicles, and it's FEDERAL tax evasion to use Avgas. It has nothing to do with Colorado. Unleaded 97 is fine to use but if you want to break Federal law and use leaded fuel, be my guest. It's still against the law, even if you don't get caught. All it takes is one highway spot check. If it as me I'd re-do the heads with new valve seats so I didn't have to hassle with finding the right fuel.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3301
    Like others I'm not concerned about getting caught running leaded fuel. Thanks for the heads up that it may be illegal but I don't agree with what the EPA has done with leaded fuels - thank God Trump is reeling that organization in. I estimate that I'll drive this beast less than 100 miles a year and that is very low exposure. Locally here on the Seattle area there is a gas station that sells 100+ octane fuel at the pump (~$10 per gallon). If there is a proabition against running leaded fuel I'm ignorant of it.
    I own an L79 1965 Chevelle SS. This engine has 11.0:1 compression ratio and objects to premium pump gas. I have found that a mixture of 5 gallons of avgas to 15 gallons of pump gas prevents pre-ignition.
    The 57's 283 has an advertised compression ratio of 10.5:1 which is close to the L79's (both engines have cast iron heads) so driving it spirtedly will probably require something better than 92 octane pump gas. Yes I can retard the timing but that would be like a marriage without sex- why go there?
    Cheers
    Al

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by alhewitt View Post
    If there is a proabition against running leaded fuel I'm ignorant of it.
    Ignorance of the law isn't a valid defense. The lead ban isn't going away, I can assure you of that. They've even been trying to outlaw the use of lead for hunting and fishing. It's already illegal to use lead shot in most places. Good luck!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    High compression engines freaking love it, and the smell reminds me of years gone by. I can't believe how many late model hi-po cars, are out there running around with giant cams, open exhausts with illegal cat deletes, that will make your eyes water. And then there are the stupid coal rollers too. My lawnmower pollutes more,than the few miles I drive on good ole Ethel fuel. I do blend 50% unleaded non-ethanol with 110 on an 11:1 engine, if that helps.

Registered Member

Honestly, I only thought is was illegal to put leaded fuel in a vehicle designed to run unleaded, in other words 1975 or newer.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think you're right markm, except for one thing. Race gas and avgas don't have the federal road gas tax added in to the price. And they sometimes make the disclaimer on that with race gas. So you're not paying the taxes owed, which is also illegal. This doesn't apply to high octane gas sold for the street, which is taxed (and unleaded).

The other half of the avgas story is the distillation curve. It's meant for flying conditions (altitude and temperature range). Race gas comes in a wide range of distillation curves, but is more generally like street gas.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I think you're right markm, except for one thing. Race gas and avgas don't have the federal road gas tax added in to the price. And they sometimes make the disclaimer on that with race gas. So you're not paying the taxes owed, which is also illegal. This doesn't apply to high octane gas sold for the street, which is taxed (and unleaded).

The other half of the avgas story is the distillation curve. It's meant for flying conditions (altitude and temperature range). Race gas comes in a wide range of distillation curves, but is more generally like street gas.
    I have been to several race fuel seminars and have heard a lot reasons why avgas is not a good plan. I was afraid to relay it in my own words because I am not an expert and if I state something wrong Cnut will crucify me. Avgas might work for him up there in that thin air.

I heard a race fuel dealer complain about paying road tax once, so that may be brand or region specific thing. Having met Renegades tech guy and had him encourage people to contact him that why I said to call them.

I still remember the day 40 years ago I took a brass drift to the fuel inlet of my 75 Camaro and installed Doug Thorley Headers. Jimmy is still waiting on his check.
    Last edited by markm; 03-04-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Member #:3301

First Drive

As an up-date... I removed the engine from the 57 to clean up the engine compartment, strip and paint the the engine, remove and rebuild the Rochester FI system. Last week with all parts cleaned, repainted and the FI system returned from the shop I assembled it all and first ran the engine on a test stand. When satisfied that it was running correctly I installed the engine in the car and drove it for the second time since owning it. It runs well but is still a tank! Shifting a 3 speed on the column is like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it.

Saturday there was a car show 15 miles away and a high school buddy from the 60's and I drove it to the event. What a hoot. There are very few true stock tri-fives out there today and I can see why. With so many improvement available it is easy to make one of these 60 year old cars into a much better driver. The commute to and from the show was great with lots of full throttle operations. No need to worry about lighting up the tires as the little 283 in. 283 HP SBC does not have the balls to do that. There are more shows this summer and now that it is back together I can enjoy it. Many people had nice things to say about this car so for now I consider myself as the care taker of it.

Oh, some on this site will go ballistic but it runs real well on 100LL avgas, however I need to be on the look-out for the unleaded fuel Nazi... Al

Member #:1608
    Let the fun begin!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast