Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Drive

Member #:3217
    Al, great photos of a super subject.. (only one of the photos - the one of the car itself - was 'upside down'..).. Forgive me for taking some liberties with it and reposting..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3301

First Drive

As an observation; one of the above pictures of the engine (it is running in this picture) and is taken from the rear of the and it shows the back of the distributor. FI cars have a gear drive on the base of the distributor to drive the FI fuel pump. Looking at this picture you will see a tach drive on the rear of this distributor gear drive. This is some what unique in that this rear drive is connected to a cable that runs through the firewall and to the back of an AC Delco tach circa 1957, and I assume it was a factory or perhaps a dealer installed option. The base of the distributor is pined to the intake manifold and will not rotate. This locks the distributor base in position to connect the FI fuel pump drive pointed to the front of the engine. Timing adjustment is accomplished by a split in the distributor housing that has a clamp to hold the top it in place after the timing is set. This gear drive requires constant lubrication so looking at the picture you'll see a flexible SS hose from the oil port on the rear of the engine to the distributor gear drive. Factory installations had a hard line in lieu of the flexible line that I installed. This is one of a very few modifications that I've made to the original set up.

The tach is screwed to the dash and located at the 4:00 position referenced from the steering wheel. This is not ideal and somewhat difficult to read. It is a little like an airplane instrument panel that has a shot-gun placement of instruments. It is usable but not ideal. Also there is no illumination in the tach so it is a day light operation system.
    I'll get some more pictures and post them now that I've learn how (sort of)...
    Al

First Drive Cont.

I've been busy with this project and thought I'd send a few more pictures to the group. I've replaced the door and wing windows as the the original ones were weathers on the edges. I got an education on the window regulators and have them working smoothly - big improvement. I have new front windshield and rear glass yet to install. I was able to get LOF glass with the correct date code on it. While I had the door panels off I replaced them as the old ones were showing some ware and were stained in a few places. The car did not come with arm rest but I've added them for comfort in driving. I also had the front seat recovered with period correct material from Cars Inc. This is cobblestone pattern circa 1957 and they sent me the seat covers, foam and burlap. A local upholstery shop reinforced the seat springs and installed the seat covers.
    I'm about done with any planned work but it's 60 years old so I expect to be working on it for a long time to come. I've had it to a couple of car show and have one to attend this coming Sunday. Living large... Al
    PS. I tried loading some pictures but not sure that they will show. Computers!

Member #:3217
    Sounds like you're making some good progress with that beauty!

PS. you know when you get 'educated', you're obligated to pass it along (to the rest of us)...

First Drive Pictures

Maybe these pictures will appear. It's always a crap shoot!
    Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:530
    I totally DIG this 57! Nice. Thumbs up.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

First Drive

Thanks for the kind comments, like all cars this one is a labor of love. There are three or four car shows planned for this summer that I want to attend. I plan on driving it as that is what it needs as it sat in storage for years and needs to be driven. I'm fortunate to have a lift so keeping it clean on the under side is doable.
    Cheers
    Al

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345