Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having Fun Learning to Gas Weld with a new Cobra 2000 torch!

Banned

Member #:2775

Having Fun Learning to Gas Weld with a new Cobra 2000 torch!

I gave up long ago attempting to learn how to oxy/acy weld while having tanks/torch mostly collect dust for 35 years, other than an occasional use for cutting, or bending something. After seeing/reading the benefits of the old school oxy/acy welding methods, and this "new torch" that has been around for 35 years originally sold under the name Henrob. Never knew of it until recently, and after checking it out I decided I had to try the Cobra 2000 complete torch kit for $500. Never liked the way my old torch cut steel, so I tried the cutting attachment first, to cut up some practice pieces. I'm going to quit using my Sawzall blades up because this torch cuts great. After 3 practice welds, I welded these 2 pieces of scrap sheet metal back together. No burn through, stayed flat, and was very easy to finish. After tacking one end I just welded the whole piece without stopping. MIG is quick and easy, but I think this torch could do much better on a lot of different materials.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5pemu1OdA
    FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0875.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-24-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Did you do a proper weld test?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WagonWonder View Post
    Did you do a proper weld test?
    Please tell me how, and I'll try it? I know the weld temp seems to be much less than a MIG, and the weld seems to be the same hardness as the parent metal, so you can still grind, bend, and shape.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Just yanking your rip chord LOL! I figured I would before someone else did..........................

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The quick and easy weld strength test on a butt weld is to put the sample in a vise close to the weld but not right on it. Then beat the piece to bend it 90 degrees right in the weld.

There's other similar ways depending on the joint and material thickness.

A lot of people like this torch but it won't really do anything more than a standard torch can do.

Banned

True, a standard torch can do the same, but this one seems much easier to set up for a perfect focused soft intense flame. The 90 degree pistol grip is easy to control. My old torch was like trying to weld with a forest fire. Came with a good CD tutorial which helps. You just simply set both regulators to only 4 psi for everything, and just change tips for different thicknesses. Setting the 200 psi gauge on the O2 to 4 psi is an issue. They sell a low pressure regulator set for $299, but all I did was buy a 30 psi acetylene gauge for the oxy side for $8 which works great. I mostly want to learn to torch weld sheet metal, and leave the MIG for heavier stuff. I want to try aluminum with this torch too. I wish I was confident to out of position weld the new quarter panels on my 55 currently collecting dust in the body shop. Maybe I still have time to learn, and help out. I'm not real sure about my body man's welding skills either. Don't know if it would be a good idea to have him line everything up, tacked together with a MIG, and torch weld between them?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-25-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Member #:3217
    I purchased one of those kits (for the oxy/acetylene) last year as well. The man who sold it to me (during a demonstration at a car show in Pigeon Forge, TN) could do amazing things with this torch, like making a razor thin cut thru 1/2" steel; he could cut designs like he was using a pencil! I watched him for an hour or two before purchase! (but I still haven't taken the opportunity to try it but I will soon).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I purchased one of those kits (for the oxy/acetylene) last year as well. The man who sold it to me (during a demonstration at a car show in Pigeon Forge, TN) could do amazing things with this torch, like making a razor thin cut thru 1/2" steel; he could cut designs like he was using a pencil! I watched him for an hour or two before purchase! (but I still haven't taken the opportunity to try it but I will soon).
    You should try it. I fired mine up right after I opened the box, and watched the video. It's pretty slick and easier than I thought. Going to try it again today on some 19 gauge sheet metal.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-25-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Member #:115
    Might be a cheap way to cut and weld, but you still have to know how to use it and the limitations. I don't see oxy-acetylene welding to be much different than TIG welding but you get a lot more concentrated heat with the TIG. I'm really skeptical about the ability to weld stainless steel with oxy-acetylene but I've never tried it. I used to do a lot of oxy-acetylene welding years ago. I personally think MIG is more controllable and easier to learn to use than this torch. I guess I don't understand the big deal about the 4 pounds of pressure. You need enough gas to create the heat to weld, no matter how much pressure you use. No way would I get that torch near a quarter panel...it's too easy to overheat and warp the crap out of it imo.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

I don't know for sure, but steel melts around 2000 degrees, and a O/A torch is around 6000 degrees with a wider HAZ, but the MIG/TIG arc is 11,000 degrees plus, making for a hot, harder weld. One thing I noticed with the low 4/4 psi pressures, the gas flow, and usage seems like just a slight whisper of gas, while putting out a lot of concentrated heat in the very small flame cone with the Cobra torch. Very small puddle that you can move any direction. What did they use instead TIG/MIG welders back in the days of the beautiful hand built cars of the 20's, 30's etc.?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast