Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Safari Wagon Project

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Thanks, Laszlo that'll give me a good idea where to start... I still need to check the fitment of the rear wheels and tires to make sure there's plenty of room as well.

[QUOTE=chevynut;45815]Here's what I did....

Attachment 8744

Are the S curve braces coming from the rear body mounts factory on the nomad? Mine doesn't have them... but the rear frame rails after the humps are a lot different on the pontiac frame, the stay up high and have a rapid decent towards the end.

IMG_1040.jpg

Member #:115
    Yes those braces that I connected the cargo area braces too are factory on a Nomad. I don't think they're necessary though, I connected them because they were there.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    You should be set, let me know if I missed one.

NickP

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    You should be set, let me know if I missed one.

NickP
    Everything looks perfect, thanks for the help Nick!

Registered Member

No major updates here, but I cleaned up and re-organized the shop today... Everything has been in such chaos the last 6 months since I started re-building that I decided it was time to clean it up and re-organize a bit. Still have a long way to go, but it's starting to get organized.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with a complete re-pop door for any model? I'm just curious about quality, fit, etc... My passenger side door is so rusted out I'm debating buying a re-pop instead of fixing it.. I'm going to order a complete tailgate next week and I would like to order as much as I can/need at once... The guy I'm getting my re-pop sheetmetal from is about 3 hours away (really good prices and worth the drive or I'd just have it shipped).

Member #:115
    I've never personally seen any of the repop doors or tailgates but have read that the tailgates are nice. So I would expect that the doors are nice too. I wouldn't be surprised if they took some work to make the gaps better, but it all depends on how picky you are. Maybe Madmook can reply with his opinions since he sells them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    I have one. seems ok so far - RealDealSteel unit.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Door or tailgate? I don't think I've ever seen Nomad doors repro'd. They are a cross between a hardtop door and a sedan door. Seems like you could make one from a sedan door but it may be a lot of trouble.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I have one. seems ok so far - RealDealSteel unit.
    Thanks, I'm thinking time and money wise it makes sense to just go for the whole door. Most of the bottom structure of the door is gone, and a little near the top where it touches the B pillar, as well as on the skin... I don't have the skills to make the entire bottom door piece, so I'd be paying for a patch there already and still have multiple other areas to address.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Door or tailgate? I don't think I've ever seen Nomad doors repro'd. They are a cross between a hardtop door and a sedan door. Seems like you could make one from a sedan door but it may be a lot of trouble.

Goldenstar is re-popping them according to their site, though I haven't spoken with my guy yet to make sure he can get them.

http://goldenstarauto.com/Productdet...11&sc=347&pi=0

I'm going to crack into the other door this weekend and take a closer look... If I need to order the lower door frame patch panel, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get both doors and a tailgate.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast