Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Safari Wagon Project

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I have used Chevy 2dr 150/210 wagon quarters on a nomad, and the lower part of wagon quarters on a Chevy passenger car, so I would bet Pont would be the same. The top had to be reshaped to fit the nomad.
    Last edited by LEE T; 05-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Something I hadn't noticed previously - the photos of the blue and white Safari that 56 Safari posted show a belt line dip that a Nomad (or Chevy wagon) does not have.

Registered Member

That would be something to check on, it looks like the dip is the same as Chevy sedan, and the Pontiac 2 dr sedan also.

Member #:3
    Just Talked with Dick Olsen Hotrodder on this site

He has Both OEM Doors off 56 Nomad
    He says they Have been blasted and No Rust out & barely even Pits under where the weather strip was
    He wants $750 EA

Here is his web site

http://www.classicchevyshop.com/contact-us

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Just Talked with Dick Olsen Hotrodder on this site

He has Both OEM Doors off 56 Nomad
    He says they Have been blasted and No Rust out & barely even Pits under where the weather strip was
    He wants $750 EA

Here is his web site

http://www.classicchevyshop.com/contact-us

Thanks 567, Haha I already placed my order for the doors and tailgate this morning.... I really appreciate it, if my guy has any issue getting the doors for me I will reach out to him.

Registered Member

Original doors are likely to be way better than reproduction, and if they haven't shipped yet, they will probably let you cancel

Registered Member

I called him this morning and he's already got the order processing, I'm not gonna worry about it unless something comes up. I got the doors for about $100 cheaper and I don't have any shipping costs (I'm guessing WA to TN freight would be at least a couple hundred)... He was also about $200 cheaper on the tailgate than anyone else I've seen, and a good guy to do business with... I forsee giving this man a lot of my money as things go on, he's also a painless and dakota digital dealer.

Registered Member

Well, I've been waiting on my MB bead roller to come in before going further with the inner quarter patch panels, but it still hasn't shipped yet.. So in the interim I found some paint stripper I had laying around and started stripping the inner quarters and A pillar and cowl areas just to get an idea of what everything else looked like.... There is some decent metal under it all, not a lot, but some. I was also surprised when I sanded a few areas of rust on the roof that paint/primer showed up underneath after the rust sanded off. Not sure if the paint rusted? or if rusty parts were layed on top at some point? After all that I went ahead and added the drivers side A-pillar with cowl panel to my order. The passenger side looked pretty good, I may need the outer most piece of the A pillar for that side, but I'm going to hold off for now. But I just hit the road for the next month an a half, so no more updates until July.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Member #:115
    That's looking pretty good 56Safari. It's always nice when you get down to bare metal and cut away the bad stuff so you can see what you really have to work with. Too bad dipping a whole body isn't more cost effective and easier to access for most guys.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I may try to take the front clip somewhere to have it dipped if its reasonable. Once I get back I'm going to try taking the whole car all the way down to bare metal before I go any further.. I'm trying to avoid sandblasting, but I think I'll need to in the pinch welds at the windows and the adjoining areas of the toe panel.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast