Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Safari Wagon Project

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    I'm trying to avoid sandblasting, but I think I'll need to in the pinch welds at the windows and the adjoining areas of the toe panel.
    Sandblasting is fine as long as it's in high crown areas or areas with lots of detail like door jambs, tailgate area, etc. That's how I did mine. I even blasted the beads in the roof because it's hard to clean them any other way. I blasted pretty much all of the interior as long as it wasn't the backside of exterior sheetmetal. Use fine sand and as low pressure as possible while still cutting the rust.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Medium crushed glass would be a better choice for blasting media IMO. Fine crushed glass is like powder.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    Medium crushed glass would be a better choice for blasting media IMO. Fine crushed glass is like powder.
    I guess when I said "fine" I meant not coarse like play sand. I use 80 grit silica sand that I get at Lowes. It's white and pretty fine compared to play sand and it's cheap compared to the glass beads (crushed glass) I get at Tractor Supply. And yes I use a respirator and try to work upwind.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Personally, I think sand is a bit too hard for sheet metal, but we can all agree that it works very well on frames and other thick steel parts, when using the proper protection.
    Cnut, you have done a lot of blasting, but it sounds like you have stuck with sand because of its low price, but maybe you will consider some of these points.
    Steel is 4.5 - 5 on the MOHS hardness scale, glass beads have the same MOV rating (hardness) as crushed glass which is 5.5, but crushed glass cleans a lot better that glass beads because of the sharp edges it has. Crushed glass is also the softest media you can use that will clean steel, so there is less chance of damage. Black Diamond is 6>
    Silica Sand is 7 Crushed glass is also white and its clean. I clean the metal before blasting, then just wipe it off after blasting and spray epoxy.
    Glass media has a lot of other benefits also.

https://www.reade.com/reade-resource...s-of-abrasives

New Age blasting media has distributors all across the country, but it may be a hardware store or something like that as the distributor, if you contact them they will tell you if there is one close to you. I haven't bought any in a few years so the price may have gone up, but I use to buy it for about $8 per 50# bag for the New Age packaged product. Just checking on line I noticed this place close to you if you are interested in trying it. 2040 or 15/35 works good for frames, and 40/70 is good for sheet metal.
    http://www.unitedwesterndenver.com/i...category_id=12
    Last edited by LEE T; 06-01-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Thanks Lee, I was planning on giving the crushed glass media a try ... I saw some at Northern Tool for about $10 per 50# bag... Does it work well for a few uses? I was reclaiming my aluminum oxide ( or about 50-60% of it) by spraying on a tarp with minimal wind, helped keep the costs down a bit.

Registered Member

What do you mean by a few uses? This web site has some info that may help
    http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-guide.htm

Registered Member

As for recycling the glass media you have to keep in mind that glass will only be good for one recycle, its just not as hard as sand. It will also depend on the distance and pressure you use.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I just don't see any problem with sand - or recycling it - where sandblasting is warranted. Such as on the places already mentioned. Typical glass bead media is fine for a cabinet but not suitable for general use as I use it.

I buy "sandblasting sand" from my local hardware store in 100# bags. Comes from a local plant that's primarily in the cement biz but they sell everything to the concrete mixer guys. It's "fine" by the same definitions that Cnut posted.

Member #:3217
    Back in the 80's when I was doing more restoration work (and was lots younger), I had a dilute HCL solution in a poly garbage can for stripping rust, and also obtained a large vat (from a shut down refrigerator plant) which I mixed a Sodium Hydroxide solution for stripping paint; it was large enough to fit doors and fenders and deck lids and hoods. This gave me almost a production method re speed in stripping paint and rust from parts. I have always used sandblasting for rust and bad paint removal from bodies/frames/etc, and stripper for removing heavier coats of paint from large parts (ie. bodies)... A day or so in the vat removes all the paint and followed by a rinse and etch prepares the paint for primer... The ideas for both those vats came from an old article by Wayne Oakley in the Nomad News magazine.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Its been a long 2 days, but I just got to Michigan .. I had to stop by my house on the way to Michigan to pick up some gear for work, so I couldn't help but open the box that came in from Mittler Bros. and take a peak..... it's an excellent looking piece of machinery

IMG_1280.jpg

I was slightly annoyed they put the foot controller on top of the aluminum during shipping without any protective padding underneath... its slightly scuffed along the side from the pedal moving around during shipping.. ohh well, I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast