Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Safari Wagon Project

Member #:115
    I have that same MB bead roller but I didn't get it with the more powerful motor and I wish I would have. TO upgrade now is a lot more expensive than if I'd ordered it with the stronger motor to begin with. :/
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I have that same MB bead roller but I didn't get it with the more powerful motor and I wish I would have. TO upgrade now is a lot more expensive than if I'd ordered it with the stronger motor to begin with. :/
    I had the same debate, but once I realized that I might be making a few things w/ 16 gauge I went for it... learned my lesson with my cheapo $200 bead roller

Registered Member

Finally back home for a couple of weeks, still getting acclimated to life off of the road..

I finished up mounting the Safari to the rotisserie, got the COG set pretty well for now.. I'm still not 100% happy with the front mounts so I'll probably re-make them at some point. They're sturdy, but the angle is a couple degrees off, and not perfectly parallel to the rotisserie... I'm going to start glass bead blasting it this week (hoping to start later tonight if it cools down a bit).

IMG_1542.jpg

Found a little bad news when removing the trim on the rear windows.. The drivers side rear window drip rail will need to be re-fabricated as well as some patching to the roof... I'm going to keep plugging forward and block this area out of my mind for now. I knew the drip rails around the door / a-pillar would need work, but I was hoping I could get away with the rear windows... Other side appears to be okay.

IMG_1544.jpg

Registered Member

Side note, anyone else buy steel lately? I paid $101 for a 20' stick of 2" square tube with a 3/16" wall.. It was almost half that last October, my jaw dropped when he rang me up.

Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    Side note, anyone else buy steel lately? I paid $101 for a 20' stick of 2" square tube with a 3/16" wall.. It was almost half that last October, my jaw dropped when he rang me up.
    Yeah steel has soared in price lately. Here's the problem. They put a tariff on foreign steel so the US steel makers can be competitive.....then the US steel makers raise their prices, screwing us, and they're still not competitive. Thank the extortionist unions for that,

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    That's a great looking rotisserie ... gonna be a great help to you as you clean/prep/prepare your body! Keep us informed with photos as you get the rust stripped off your car and begin replacing with new metal!

Registered Member

Thanks Bama... I had already cut and tack welded the A-pillars together when I found MP&C's rotisserie plans posted online... The plans I sketched up had similar dimensions so I altered course and followed his plans for the rest of it but added hydraulic rams. I avoided using pneumatic casters because I didn't want to be pumping them up all the time. Now I'm wishing I had them because its a pain to get it out the garage door and it bottoms out on the transition to the driveway. I'm thinking about building some removable legs with pneumatic casters that slide into the each side of the main frames and lock in place for rolling it outside. hoping to get some blasting done soon, TSC was out of glass media yesterday, so I'm going to try another today.

Registered Member

Well, they only had 1 bucket of glass bead in stock so I didn't get too far. Going to see if I can find some more in stock further away, or buy in bulk somewhere... TSC has the best priceI could find at $36 per 50lbs.
    IMG_1556.jpg

I used silica sand at around $10 per 100 pounds on my Nomad. Glass is going to cost a small fortune to blast that, imo. Problem is, Lowes no longer carries the silica sand I used, and neither does anyone else around here. We have a silica mine locally, so I don't know where it's going. My son speculated that the frackers are using it all up.

Are you re-cycling it? I had pretty good luck re-cycling my silica sand.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

Are you re-cycling it? I had pretty good luck re-cycling my silica sand.
    Trying to, I only retained about 20% on that round but there was a slight wind blowing...I'm going to use a bigger tarp next round.. I can buy Garnet abrasive for $25/50lb. Other than that its aluminum oxide which is $8/50 lbs but I'm worried about causing warping... I was blasting with the glass around 40psi and it was coming clean really fast.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast