Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Looking for a used Vintage Air or Hurricane complete inside unit to add air conditioning to my 55 Chev

Member #:2709

Looking for a used Vintage Air or Hurricane complete inside unit to add air conditioning to my 55 Chev

If any of you want to sell your old unit (cable driven or electric) for an updated model, I can give you some money toward your new unit. I would like a new unit but still have a few things to buy for my project. Also if anyone know if you have to alter the glove box on all the units?... Thanks in advance!!!

Member #:3217
    ... along with the radio, etc...

Given what one 'loses' with Vintage Air, I'd rather have an underdash unit...

Member #:115
    You don't lose the radio with VA. The glove box has to be smaller, but that's about it. If you're referring to the stock speaker and amp on the passenger's side, you probably can't use that. But who wants the crappy stock radio anyhow? If you're worried about originality, then why install aftermarket A/C?

Thuis is the old VA cable unit in my 56 Nomad:

10070008.JPG

10070016.JPG

This is the new Gen IV unit with the 4-duct outlet option:

20150728_004.JPG

20150728_005.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-23-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks for the info CHEVYNUT!

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You don't lose the radio with VA. The glove box has to be smaller, but that's about it. If you're referring to the stock speaker and amp on the passenger's side, you probably can't use that. But who wants the crappy stock radio anyhow? If you're worried about originality, then why install aftermarket A/C?

Thuis is the old VA cable unit in my 56 Nomad:

10070008.JPG

10070016.JPG

This is the new Gen IV unit with the 4-duct outlet option:

20150728_004.JPG

20150728_005.JPG

Thanks for for the pics and info Chevynut! I'd be happy with either one... Looks good! If you hear of any deals please shoot me a pm( personal message). I'm not real sure how to send a pm? If you need my email address let me know.... Thanks Darrell

The original radio won't fit with the VA unit installed, and the 'replacement glove box' *might* hold a couple of post cards.. if you can hold them in the space long enough to shut the glove box door...

Thanks Bama Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The original radio won't fit with the VA unit installed, and the 'replacement glove box' *might* hold a couple of post cards.. if you can hold them in the space long enough to shut the glove box door...

Thanks for for the info... I'm not to worried about the radio since it won't be factory but not too crazy about loosing half my glove box... Wonder if the Hurricane setup is any better? It seems like it may hang lower on the passenger side... I wonder if it gets in the way of the foot area???

You lose closer to 80% of your glovebox space....
    (and IMO, the part that is left is only enough so when you open the glovebox door, you don't see wiring/evaporator...
    ie. its primary function is to hide the wiring and evap...)

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The original radio won't fit with the VA unit installed,
    It's pretty obvious that the radio - the unit in the center of the dash - WILL fit. As I said, I'm not sure about the speaker/amp but this is what VA says about their cable unit:

"NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIP WITH FACTORY DASH RADIO SPEAKER, THE BRACKET WILL NEED TO BE MODIFIED TO KEEP SPEAKER IN ORIGINAL POSITION"

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructio...5055-VCZ-A.pdf

The Gen IV instructions don't say anything about the speaker/amp not fitting and they say:

"Reinstall all previously removed items".

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructio...906155-PCZ.pdf

Worst case a guy could install a stock upgraded radio that eliminates the separate amp, which anyone who really wants to listen to the radio should do anyhow imo.

As for the glove box, Old Air claims you can keep the stock glove box if it's important to you. They don't say anything about the radio speaker but the unit hangs down below the dash a lot more than the VA. VAs replacement gove box for the Gen IV isn't that small and you probably lose 50-60%f of it.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...ar-p-4495.html
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Which A/C???

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It's pretty obvious that the radio - the unit in the center of the dash - WILL fit. As I said, I'm not sure about the speaker/amp but this is what VA says about their cable unit:

"NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIP WITH FACTORY DASH RADIO SPEAKER, THE BRACKET WILL NEED TO BE MODIFIED TO KEEP SPEAKER IN ORIGINAL POSITION"

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructio...5055-VCZ-A.pdf

The Gen IV instructions don't say anything about the speaker/amp not fitting and they say:

"Reinstall all previously removed items".

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructio...906155-PCZ.pdf

Worst case a guy could install a stock upgraded radio that eliminates the separate amp, which anyone who really wants to listen to the radio should do anyhow imo.

As for the glove box, Old Air claims you can keep the stock glove box if it's important to you. They don't say anything about the radio speaker but the unit hangs down below the dash a lot more than the VA. VAs replacement gove box for the Gen IV isn't that small and you probably lose 50-60%f of it.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...ar-p-4495.html

Thanks for for all the pics Chevynut! I guess it's just a matter of what you value the most...If you want more passenger floor area you go with Vintage Air and loose half of your glove box...or... If you want a full glove box and don't care much about the passenger floor you go with the Old Air Products Hurricane unit! I guess there is no 'perfect' product? Sounds like an area for a new updated product!