Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions re modifying 72 Nova 8.5 rear for TriFive...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Unless you put big sticky tires on it and drive it hard no additional welding is necessary. I have raced these rears and not had problems. Yes it does happen, maybe I have been lucky.

Member #:3217
    Thanks for the note Rocky!~ Racers welded the tubes even on the 12 bolt 1st gen rears... as it is on one I have from a Trans Am car... I haven't thought about that on this rear... but maybe I should? I have to finish up the rear replacement in the 56 before I can begin thinking too much about the 'new' 57.. as I have parts all over my shop floor. I'm going to have a pair of 'nearly new' 4 leaf lowering springs for sale... too low and not stiff enough for me in my 56 Nomad. The 'new' 57 Nomad has a 1-piece smooth frame in it which also will be available soon for anyone needing one in my area...

I'm running 235R70-15's on my 56 Nomad, and the meek 350 in it isnt' going to break anything (I don't think)... but I will check the tubes out before I install the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Most of the [NEW] NEVER EVER WORK perch's out there are too wide, they are pricey but H&H has correct ones for 55-57.
    I tacked on the Ecklers perches yesterday, and whomever said they were generally 'wider' was correct. They are a bit wider than stock, but only 1/8" or so.. so I used them. They also did not have the 'flanges' which welded to the tubes as did the original rear I removed. What is H&H???

I also checked out the 'clamp on' perches mentioned in another post which I was not familiar with prior.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    H&H Classic Parts in Bentonville, Arkansas. A very good place to buy trifive parts especially if you're not too far away. They carry a broad line of parts. Good service, charge you actual shipping. Tell you whether they have it in stock.

Registered Member

Before I ever considered welding tubes in I would triangulate the perches with some 1/4 x 2 strap. I turned the bottom of the perches on my 55 into rocking chairs.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Before I ever considered welding tubes in I would triangulate the perches with some 1/4 x 2 strap. I turned the bottom of the perches on my 55 into rocking chairs.
    How'd you get the springs to mount up with that in the way?

Registered Member

The gussets go from front edge of perch to top of tube and back edge if perch to top of perch, gussets are between U bolts.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Here is one more post you can add to your list of posts that have nothing to do with cars, or the thread. If 10% of your 7800+ posts have nothing to do with cars, that puts you well into the lead for the most BS posts by far! Several since yesterday.
    I was responding to Bamanomad's comment. Why do you have an issue with that? You go off-topic regularly on most threads.
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-08-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Most of the [NEW] NEVER EVER WORK perch's out there are too wide, they are pricey but H&H has correct ones for 55-57.
    Mark... I should have LISTENED more closely.. to both you and Rick. I actually looked at the H&H site and didn't find the perches, and didn't get them on the phone, so I ordered from Ecklers a couple of weeks ago.. and of course welded them on and the past couple of days have attempted INSTALLING the rear.. The Ecklers perches were about 1/4" wider than the 2" wide stock ones.. and as you stated.. 'won't work'.. trying to get the U bolts around those perches and into the holes of the lower spring/shock bracket is difficult (to impossible?), but I'm still trying... thinking of heating the sides of the perches and 'hammering' them closer to the 2"...?? It KILLS me to think I've got to cut these off and redo all this stuff...

PS. I called H&H again this morning, asked them to measure the ones they have .. which are CORRECT and 2" wide...
    Now I need some help from you folks.. (I can't bend my knees the right way so I can KICK MY OWN ASS!)... so have it boys.. teach me to LISTEN more..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast