Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions re modifying 72 Nova 8.5 rear for TriFive...

Member #:3217

Questions re modifying 72 Nova 8.5 rear for TriFive...

I purchased a '72 Nova rear (8.5", 3.08 Posi gears) for installing in my '56 Nomad. I have removed the large multi-leaf perches from the Nova rear and am now removing the stock rear from the Nomad so I can 'match' up the trifive perches to the locations/angle of the stock rear. In removing the stock rear from the Nomad, I've noticed a couple of differences that I haven't paid much attention to until now.
    1) The bracket that is welded to the stock rear which retains the brake line brass block. I think I've seen these for sale, but can't recall where. Can anyone help?
    2) There is a little retainer welded to the axle tubes on each side which retains the stock bumper on the inboard end (the outboard ends are retained under the large U bolts. Any idea if/where these little clips might be located?

I suppose I can 'make these' if I have to, but I want to do so retaining the factory functions.

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Summit Racing has the brake stuff. Section 4, Sheet 4.00 drawing (http://www.trifivechevys.com/manuals.../4-4.gif)shows the 3711561 Retainer but I don't think it's reproduced. You should be able to cut yours off though and re-use.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The only thing I can add is when doing a perch swap, heat is your enemy, use a grinder to remove old perches an skip around welding on new.

Thanks for the comments.

It took a while to cut off the large multi-leaf Nova (same as Camaro) perches... 3 cuts across each using my DMC2000 (first time using this) before I could get the majority of the perches off so I could use the grinder to finish it off. I've been looking but haven't found any replacements for the brackets I was looking for, so I guess I'll have to simulate them (ie. make them)... having the right thickness metals around is usually my biggest issue with that...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

It took a while to cut off the large multi-leaf Nova (same as Camaro) perches... 3 cuts across each using my DMC2000 (first time using this) before I could get the majority of the perches off so I could use the grinder to finish it off. I've been looking but haven't found any replacements for the brackets I was looking for, so I guess I'll have to simulate them (ie. make them)... having the right thickness metals around is usually my biggest issue with that...
    Most of the [NEW] NEVER EVER WORK perch's out there are too wide, they are pricey but H&H has correct ones for 55-57.

I bought the TriFive perches from Ecklers... I'd think they would be right, and they "look" right, but I will double check before welding them on.. Thanks for the caution note..

PS. I've seen some comments/criticisms about members here posting on the other site rather than here. I'm 'guilty' of that, if 'guilt' is appropriate, but my reason is that my experience is mostly with 'stock' parts and cars. I've worked and repaired/restored TriFive cars for many years, judges in many national events, and at one time knew essentially ALL the part numbers common to the factory stock cars (can't say I know them all now, as my memory isn't what it used to be!).. Anyway, I come to the forums for two reasons: 1) to get answers to my questions - which generally is regards to something custom, as I'm now building a couple of 'mild customs' as drivers, and 2) to help novices or beginners with simple stock-related questions that I can easily help with. There are many more such people (novices) on the other site than here.. and I get a good feeling out of helping.

Today I posted there in response to a questioner about a good/easy rear end swap, so since I happened to be in the middle of one, I replied thusly:

"Ford 9" is stronger, but it also requires more HP just to rotate the gears, so you need big HP to use one or need one... and you still spell it F O R D....
    NOT in my Chevy!

I thought I had chosen an 'easy one'... 72 Nova 8.5" 3.08 Posi unit.. I had to cut the spring perches off (not easy).. grind the tubes down smooth... today I pulled the stock rear (This USED to be easy-ier 30 yrs ago!).. After 10-20 times getting up and down getting the 'right wrench/tool'.. removing the springs (I'm replacing the springs too), disconnecting the emergency brake cable in each drum brake, disconnecting the brake line, disconnecting the driveshaft, disconnecting the rear from the springs (and finding ONE big nut that was screwed up by a prior owner and wouldn't come off).. dragging the rear end out with one spring still attached, flipping the rear end over to try again to remove the nut, finally resorting to the torch to cut the U bolt, then turning around to find that the vent was missing in the rear axle and when I flipped it over, it drained about half the lube onto my 'virgin' concrete (no virgin any longer!).. spending an hour with oil dri, Simple Green, and then scrubbing with wisk/tide/clorox and a brush, before rinsing.. and then scrubbing the grease off my arms so I can have lunch and take a nap!~ as I said earlier.. NOTHING is easy when you're pushing 69.. so after my nap, I had to head out to pick up a friend's trailer so I can go retrieve another Nomad tomorrow morning... ... It ain't Easy.. but it Must be fun.. or I would quit doing it? right?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

So maybe this can stir some *discussion* here.. without arguments and name calling I hope!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 03-31-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    PS. I've seen some comments/criticisms about members here posting on the other site rather than here.
    I don't care if people post on the other site....you can do what you want. I do think it's pretty bad when people use multiple IDs on both sites to hide behind, though. IMO that's pretty deceitful.

But what I observe is that some people post virtually NOTHING about cars here, only political crap, and post their car project stuff over on the other site. This is a car site too, and imo most of the discussion should be about CARS, not politics. I'd say well over 90% of my posts are car-related, either progress on my Nomad, helping answer questions guys have, cars in the news, new technology, analysis of suspensions, or whatever. I usually try to welcome new members and I post politics once in a while but I've been trying to avoid it.

One ex-member got pissed at me because I said that people who only post political posts here might as well get lost....I didn't specifically reference him and wasn't referring to anyone in particular, but apparently it hit a nerve with him. He posts tons of progress pics of his 57 on the other site, and I asked him multiple times in PM to please do the same here since he has a pretty cool project. He did post about it once or twice, but then got offended because I said that IN MY OPINION posting only about politics here is BS. And now he's copying my seat mount design that another guy (a past customer of mine) gave him and doesn't say one word about who actually designed it.

In some ways, I now understand why the other site doesn't allow political posts. Maybe we need a rule here that you're allowed ONE political post for every 50 posts about cars.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I don't care if people post on the other site....you can do what you want. I do think it's pretty bad when people use multiple IDs on both sites to hide behind, though. IMO that's pretty deceitful.

But what I observe is that some people post virtually NOTHING about cars here, only political crap, and post their car project stuff over on the other site. This is a car site too, and imo most of the discussion should be about CARS, not politics. I'd say well over 90% of my posts are car-related, either progress on my Nomad, helping answer questions guys have, cars in the news, new technology, analysis of suspensions, or whatever. I usually try to welcome new members and I post politics once in a while but I've been trying to avoid it.

One ex-member got pissed at me because I said that people who only post political posts here might as well get lost....I didn't specifically reference him and wasn't referring to anyone in particular, but apparently it hit a nerve with him. He posts tons of progress pics of his 57 on the other site, and I asked him multiple times in PM to please do the same here since he has a pretty cool project. He did post about it once or twice, but then got offended because I said that IN MY OPINION posting only about politics here is BS. And now he's copying my seat mount design that another guy (a past customer of mine) gave him and doesn't say one word about who actually designed it.

In some ways, I now understand why the other site doesn't allow political posts. Maybe we need a rule here that you're allowed ONE political post for every 50 posts about cars.
    Here is one more post you can add to your list of posts that have nothing to do with cars, or the thread. If 10% of your 7800+ posts have nothing to do with cars, that puts you well into the lead for the most BS posts by far! Several since yesterday.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I am not familiar with these but if they are anything close to what the second gen Camaro used you better weld the axle tubes or that will be your first failure on this rear end. For some reason the factory just tacked them in in a few spots I have had one fail before on a 1973 z28 and seen many that had same issue.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I used the clamp on mounts, and when everything was where I wanted it, I just tack welded in place.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...Pad,35921.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast