Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions re modifying 72 Nova 8.5 rear for TriFive...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The H&H perches are not cheap but they are worth every penny of cost. I can walk in to a local 4x4 Off Road shop and buy those ill filling wide ones for about 12.95. Sorry, maybe I should have been more persistent on this, However, I am used to being ignored on the internet and figure sometime people have to learn the hard way like I did, in this regard, I do appreciate people who "man up " with follow up post that may help the next guy.

Member #:3217
    Mark... you made an effort, and I made an effort to find them, but not enough of an effort. If you'd included a LINK to the parts, it would have been more effective as I would have FOUND those parts and ordered from them, but when I couldn't find the parts, or get anyone on the phone, I gave up and ordered Ecklers... I figured.. they had been selling their parts for years, so SURELY they had to be OK... but it wasn't so... and I'm giving them hell now and suggesting they replace the crap they are buying with the ones from H&H... The ones from H&H do not have the 'flange' like the original stock ones, but at least they are the correct width.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Mark... I should have LISTENED more closely.. to both you and Rick. I actually looked at the H&H site and didn't find the perches, and didn't get them on the phone, so I ordered from Ecklers a couple of weeks ago.. and of course welded them on and the past couple of days have attempted INSTALLING the rear.. The Ecklers perches were about 1/4" wider than the 2" wide stock ones.. and as you stated.. 'won't work'.. trying to get the U bolts around those perches and into the holes of the lower spring/shock bracket is difficult (to impossible?), but I'm still trying... thinking of heating the sides of the perches and 'hammering' them closer to the 2"...?? It KILLS me to think I've got to cut these off and redo all this stuff...

PS. I called H&H again this morning, asked them to measure the ones they have .. which are CORRECT and 2" wide...
    Now I need some help from you folks.. (I can't bend my knees the right way so I can KICK MY OWN ASS!)... so have it boys.. teach me to LISTEN more..
    Maybe changing the lower spring/shock plate would be the way to go. I have the one from AFCO racing and it fits great.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Maybe changing the lower spring/shock plate would be the way to go. I have the one from AFCO racing and it fits great.
    Poop, happens, plain and simple. 55RD has a possible solution that might be worth visiting. At a 1/4" width beyond speck, that's only 1/8 per side. Any competent machine shop can remedy the stock plates eliminating removal, replace and re-weld to include down time. Obtain some extra thick washers from McMaster.com to strengthen the load disbursement.

Member #:2442
    A new lower plate, or modifying the original sounds like a good solution to me. Much easier than getting new perches and spending the time to cut off and replace the replacements.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    I think you fellas are right.. I even have an extra pair of stock bottom plates to modify.. I will just make slots of those holes and use some thick washers... and *maybe* I won't have to buy new U bolts to be long enough..

Registered Member

Member #:625
    These guys are correct I have modified Camaro traction bars on my 55 and what they suggest works. FYI, it is not quite an attractive on install but it works.
    Now that I got your attention those aftermarket perches are bad about bending. I turned the ones on my 55 into rocking chairs and had to pull rearend and put 100 ton press action on them to straiten them. I did this with a piss ant 396 and a couple of antique Holley Carburetors. This was also done with the 275/60/15s before the addition of 295/50/15s. Four pieces of 1/4 x 2 strap about 3.5 inches long is all it takes to gusset them.

Banned

Here is the AFCO lower spring plate on a 2 1/2 inch leaf with a 3 inch axel tube. It can also be swapped side to side to move the shock mount inboard, or get 2 of the same side for a staggered shock mount.
    IMG_1134.JPG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Here is the AFCO lower spring plate on a 2 1/2 inch leaf with a 3 inch axel tube. It can also be swapped side to side to move the shock mount inboard, or get 2 of the same side for a staggered shock mount.
    IMG_1134.JPG
    Also in this pic, but a little hard to see are the bump stops I added. Instead of mounting to the frame I simply took another leaf spring mount and clamped it to the axel instead of mounting on the frame, and used the squishy progressive jounce bumpers they used on the front of the S10 Extreme pick ups. I use those on the front A arms too. When you hit the bumpers they react much smoother than the rubber or poly bump stops. Almost like a progressive spring. GM part 15956547
    https://shopping.yahoo.com/567444055...w--?type=offer
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-23-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Banned

Here is one on the front that that the car practically rides on, but you wouldn't know it, because it rides very smooth. Known as the ZQ8 bump stop it is a common mod on the Impala SS, replacing the firm OE rubber bump stop. A great mod to any lowered A-arm front suspension!
    IMG_1138.JPG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123