Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C3 Spindle question

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884

C3 Spindle question

This is a link to discussion from the other site started as a taller ball joint and why use them. Classic Gary added in the use of a C3 spindles and posted a picture comparing stock trifive spindle, C3, and trifive drop spindle. He basically says the C3 spindle is almost direct bolt in using bushings in the ball joints. I had heard of doing similar with the tie rods using a bushing to lengthen the tie rod vertically to adjust out bump steer if you needed or wanted to. Question I ask was does using C3 big brakes and spindle push out the wheels compared to stock trifive? Rick L?

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showt...=1#post1877720

Rocky

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It only moves the wheel out by the extra thickness of a hat type rotor as compared to the thickness of a brake drum. About 1/8". Same as a "zero offset" disc brake kit does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    It only moves the wheel out by the extra thickness of a hat type rotor as compared to the thickness of a brake drum. About 1/8". Same as a "zero offset" disc brake kit does.
    Do you agree that it can be more or less a bolt in with the ball joint bushings using trifive ball joints? Do the tie rods match up with spindle?

Registered Member

It's not really a bolt on. You need the tapered bushings for the lower ball joints. The 55-57 steering arms are used, but the mounting bolt holes to the spindle must be drilled out to 1/2" from 7/16". With the stock steering arms, the tie rods bolt right up. But the biggie on not being a bolt in is that you need to shorten the upper control arm by about 3/4". I had a pair of Concept One control arms that were fairly easy to shorten, probably not so with other choices. Those ultra adjustable control arms you like might not be too hard to do though.

Two reasons for shortening the control arm. One, the extra height moves the upper ball joint inboard slightly. Two, the steering inclination angle changes from 3-1/2 degrees to 7 degrees, moving the ball joint even farther inboard.

The steering axis inclination angle improves the scrub radius, moving it outboard closer to the center of the contact patch of a big tire.

Downside is it's not a dropped spindle.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Downside is it's not a dropped spindle.

I call that a positive, if I had only known this info 20 years ago.

Thanks Rick!! me too if I had not already invested in brakes.

Member #:1704
    They make dropped spindles for the C3 now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...P3UaAuX28P8HAQ
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Registered Member

The link shows a dropped spindle for a gen 1 Camaro and all others that have the same fitment. Corvette is not one of them. ????

I'd buy a real C3 dropped spindle in a heartbeat.

Member #:1704
    Rick, you're right. Google misled me. However, Vansteel supposedly has C3 dropped spindles in the works.
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Registered Member

I found a thread/poll about Vansteel considering doing a dropped spindle at corvetteforum. The thread was from 2-1/2 years ago. I may give them a call to see if they are still considering it. Also there was some discussion in the thread about Impala dropped spindles which have similar geometry but can't use the factory Corvette caliper mounts. I haven't checked out what they can use but I'd guess they use pieces similar to big brake conversions for trifives.

One reason I dived into this was that I found the stock pieces (spindles/hubs/rotors) on Ebay very reasonable and then found some brand new SSBC calipers for a C3 very reasonable at a swap meet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast